Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I am planning on getting a LifeReef LCR1 Calium Reactor (cr). I have a few questions related to a Calcium reactor:

1.) How long can you expect a tank to last (2.5lb, 5lb)?
2.) How often must the material in the chamber be replaced?
3.) Where on Long Island might I be able to have a tank refilled?
4.) what kind of maintenance can I expect when using a CR? (annual hose replacement? material replacement?)

Thanks again!

Rich

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Hi Rich,

Maybe I can answer some of your questions:

1) Never seen a 2.5 lb CO2 tank but on a 5 lb CO2 tank, the following would be an example due to each individual's tank consumption: I use a 5 lb CO2 tank at about 60 bubbles per minute (bpm) and the tank lasted about 7-8 months. Once the PSI in the tank reaches to about 500 and below, the delivery rate becomes a bit unstable and you end up adjusting your regulator flow more often. Unless you have a spare tank, then under 500 PSI is a good indicator for a refill

2) The media is slowly dissolved, so you would add new media. On a single chamber reactor, I add or top off with A.R.M. media when the chamber drops down to about half. You should "change" out the media only if you accidently let the CO2 run too low and the media dissolved into "mush". Again, based on the reactor chamber size, how high your effluent rate & bubble count is, the media can last for months.

3) You can refill your CO2 tank at:
Clinton Welding (near Home Depot)
40 Jericho Tpke
Jericho, NY
516 334-1377

General Welding
600 Shames Dr.
Westbury, NY
516 334-8200

4) If your using CO2 compatible airline hosing, then no maintenance that I could really think of. The ball valve that you use to controll your effluent drip might clog over time from the dissolved media. Also probably will need to calibrate your PH probe every 6 months or so if your using one to monitor the effluent PH.

HTH

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks for the reply and info!

Good stuff...

Are there any posts /sticky's realted to this stuff? I couldn't seem to find anything. If not, some sort of "Reference" category may be a good idea to hold stuff specifically like this.... maybe break it down into "Where to get CO2 Refills" break this down into areas... Nassau, suffolk, Queens, NYC...

Just an idea...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: