danny

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hi!:

I just ordered 2 metal halide bulbs, a 14k hamiltion HQI 250 & 20K Ab 250 from custom aguatics. Just printed out the invoice & there seems to be an error they are sending a Ushio 10K 250 watt instead of the 14k bulb. Is the Ushio a good bulb or should I request the 14k.I do not have actinics so the blue spectrum would be from the 20k aqualine bulb.

thanks,

Dan

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
The ushio's are good bulbs. I've never ran them, but i understand they might have a slight yellow tint. I can't confirm that. With the 20K i think it would balance out pretty good. I would say to try it and see if you like it. The 10k will help brighten up the tank, since the 20k is pretty dim. HTH

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
The 10k xm is a pretty bright bulb. I had those. THat's why it doesn't look that blue. Then again everyone else has their personal preference. I tried the 20k xm and sent them back. Those bulbs resemble actinics. Way too dim.

Are you replacing the lamps as a maintenance thing or you're looking for bluer combo?..If bluer is what you want then the 14k should do it. I have the 14 AC's and i like them. I like my tank to have a slight bluish tint, that's my preference.

Like i said, most places allow you to return them within a week. So if you're not happy, exchange them. You'll eventually get it right, lol. Heck, that's what i did. Good luck.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Danny,

I use the Aqualine BUscke 10,000k's which are really more like 13,000 - nice and blue and sharp. Not too blue. not too yellow - for me, just right .

But like pedro said, it does have to do with preference

For the record - SPS corals, etc prefer 6,500k bulbs for growth - but you get more color out of them with higher kelvin bulbs

House

danny

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Thanks,Guys:

Pedro I changing my bulbs(12 months old bulbs)because of maintenance.I have a 20K XM now & I do not think it's that blue especially when the 10K's are off? Maybe I got a bad bulb or wrong kelvin?.

House I took your advice & purchased the 20K aqualine bulb. I missed your group buy, I ordered the bulbs that morning. I could have saved on shipping.

I am going to try the Ushio 10K & see how it looks.

thanks, again

Dan

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: