ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
Every thing was going good in my tank until recently and i cannot pin point the problem. i am having an aggressive algea/cyano growth in my tank and cannot locate the source of it..
my tank parameters are as follows

salifert test kits
ph 8.1
nitrites 0
magnesium. 1250
kh/alk 11.8
calcium 415
ammonia 0
nitrate .2ppm
salinity 1.025
phosphates - 0 < this is the first one i check even bought a newer test and ro/di water and tank water is coming up 0 in hi and low range test

info about my 40 breeder setup
1. have deep sand bed in my sump with cheato and 5 red mangroves not fully grown out yet
2. i am running two reactors one with phosban and one with Esv Carbon
3. currently only have 1 clownish and one damsel in tank rest are in quarantine . i am currently fighting ICK but i haven't got around to catching those two for quarantine, they are not sick though.
4 .flow i have a koralia #3 and koralia #1. and return is mag 9.5 split between 2 3/4 inch locline returns..
5. lights are 6 bulb tek t5 with 1 month old ati bulbs

Any random ideas that you guys can come up with that i may have missed i really would appreciate it

pics will follow in my next post

Eric

Last edited:

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
i think that koralina 1 is worthless in your tank.i wouls use 2 kora 2s for flow.when u do ur water change are you sucking up the algae.how old is ur tank setup.what is your ph and nitrites.what type of filtration are u using.dont do so many water changes in a row that may do more harm than good jmo.also i didnt like io salt.i would go oceanic or reef crystals

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
i use the koralia 1 to get a little flow to the back of the tank. I also do siphon the algea when i do water changes and change filter socks as well. my ph was 8.1, nitrites was 0 also(i forgot to write that) will update first post.

i really did not think it was a flow problem because the flow is actually kind of crazy between the mag 9.5 for the return and koralias i cant keep small frags on the sand bed. i will look into that i have anothe koralia 3 hanging around

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
how old is the tank n any missing casualty. any dosing ? your mag is a bit low. what brand of test r u using on your phosphates. i doubt is 0.
but i think u have a bigger problem to deal with 1st. ick. tip: leave your tank fishless for at least 6 weeks.

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
i dose ESV calc and alk. the magnesium was low before i did my water change. that usually gets it back on track. these are test results from yesterday evening i will do some more tonight.

I have no missing fish or no casualties

i am going to quarantine all my fish just as soon as i am capable of removing the rocks in my tank to catch the last two guys. they are very smart.

i am using salifert test kits for everything. i dont believe my phosphate are 0 also but i dont have 200 buck for a hanna meter. none of my testkits are expired if that helps

the tank has been up since july 08

Last edited:

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
i wouldnt use the koralina 3s that will be to much flow.i have 2 kora 2s in my 30 and its perfect flow.i have 1 facing the front of rocks and the other facing behind rocks.my overflow tubes face around an inch down and pointing at each corner in front of glass.its stirs up just enough so the sand isnt in turmoil yet nothing gets trapped anywhere.i would recommend the koralina 3s for 75 gal up to 100 gal jmo

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
ok i understand what you are saying about the flow. i have some other power heads lying around im going and try to find them.. i was actually considering getting the mp20 for my tank.. thanks for the responses guys really appriciate it. any other thoughts? or does anyone have a hanna meter lol?

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
i am running a chiller and heater controlled by an aqua controller junior. my tank fluctuates between 79 and 83. i don't think i am over feeding because i only have 2 fish in the tank at the moment and im trying to catch them thank alot for responding

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: