pmui

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I have a 120g tank with fish. My temp swings as a bout 77-82 degrees. Can anyone recommend a heater that will be able to minamize the temp swing. I currently have a 250Watt heater in the sump, should I add another 250W heater? or go with a single 300w?

Thanks.

pmui

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I am currently running a sump for the skimmer and bio stuff, there is currently a heater in it. I ask the question becuase the temps. swing is too great in my opinion. A +-5 degree would stress the fish. I would prefer a +-2 degree swing from day to day. The tank is also located downstair of the house, which is not always occupied and it can get chilly when the weather really drops. The 82 degree is only during hot summer months. Currently the tank temp is 77-79-80ish.

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I would suggest using two heaters, especially if the room is cold during the winter. The heaters will only ensure that the temperature does not drop too low. To keep the temperature from rising too high you will need fans or a chiller.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
If your tank has a temp swing, putting a heater to keep it at like 79 or something just means the top end will go up also, maybe not by as much as your raising the low end but it will go up and i think its scaled. Don't know lighting conditions or room temp. But for the most part, water temp will try to keep with room air temp. Most rooms are kept at 65-72/73 which is the comfortable norm. So that means your tank temp is affected by 1. any pumps/powerheads and 2. lighting. This also means unless its a hot summer day and your windows are open the tank will continue to have a temp swing during lights on because the pumps and lights will put the same amount of energy back into the tank that will create the same amount of swing but scaled.

You gotto add a heater to keep the low end a bit more stable, and at the same time some way of cooling the tank off to maintain the low end temp during lights on and mid day warmth. Take the tank out of the sun if it is. Thats the only way to correct the big temp swing your having.

pmui

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
my problem is durning winter when it gets cold, the air temp in the house at night is down to 66 degrees downstairs. I will add another heater to the sump to see it it keep the low point at 79 degrees. I'll see if i have an extra one in my reef loot, otherwise i order another. Thanks all.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
yeah heater will help the drop. but remember if your tank is going up by 4-6 degrees make sure your taking care of the up fluctuation. 4 - 5 degree fluctuation is alot during the day.

Also, something to consider when setting the low end with your heater. Most reef tanks are 82 on their top temp mid summer/ect. And the norm people keep their tanks is 79/80 and some closer to the 82 mark and only because they either didn't know, can't control their temp correctly or have a reason for running their tank higher. The perfect temp range your looking for is 76 +/- 2 degrees. Its the best median for temp as far as the range of places the animals are collected. Most tropical surface temps don't go beyond 84 and the fish/coral are collected 15-40 (maybe 30? dunno 100%) feet below the surface. The temp drops quick the lower you go. The temp of your tank should be defined by the animals you keep.

So, if you can keep the temp at 77/76 for your midrange, i'd say it would be the best and try to get rid if that 5 degree temp swing with proper cooling and a heater to control the low end. It stresses your coral and fish although you might not see it right away and give a better chance for your tank to be infested with some parasite or something.

sklz325

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have a 45G tank with a 200W heater set at 75 degrees. My thermometer constantly shows readings between 81-83 degrees. I have 3 Maxijet 1200 PHs circulating the water. How can I get the temperature to come down to the optimal 76-80 temperature?

18oreefer

+270
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
if your temp swing is due to the heaters this will solve that problem. and it is a good safeguard agains your heater from breaking and boiling your fish. i have one for my chiller and one for my heaters. when the tank reaches temp it cuts the power to the heaters till it goes below temp again.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: