TONYPELL007

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Of Recently My New Addition A Gorgeous Swallowtail Has Gotten Ick It Is Clearly Visible But Not That Bad Right Now. My Tank 150 Gallon, About 250lbs Of Live Rock Some Soft Coral, Invertebrates And Of Course A Couple Of Other Fish. I Guess The Initioal Stress Of His New Home Got To Him My Other Fish Were Not Keen On Him Especially My Large Yellow Tank But Recently All Is Well Everyone Is Getting Along. What Is The Best Medition I Can Use Before The Rest Of My Fish Get It Too.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
What ever you do be very carefull with copper base medications, I lost my Majestic to "Copper Safe". The manufacturer's rep told me that I was adviced wrong and that angels are very sensitive to copper....

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
ich

Ich is very dangerous. you can google countless examples of how it wipes out an entire tank. you could just rely on its immune system and hope garlic works(in many cases it has) . but also he is already infected his immune system is already attacked. Imo garlic is not sure fire its a gamble. i llost fish using immune sytem boosters. every ones tanks are different this is just my story. for me it came down to a decision of moving live rock and draining half of the tank to catch my 150 dollar fish or let him die and possibly infect everyone else

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
from my limited experience, as long as fish still has good appetite..it will prolly be safe..

Yeah, I agree... If the fish is eating well and not showing signs of labored breathing, I would just add a garlic extract (I use Kent garlic extreme) and let it fight it off on its own. I had an outbreak like that, my royal gramma kept getting it for a good 2 months and after I started adding the garlic it slowly fought it off and has been fine since. Sometimes the stress of catching, quarantining, and medicating is too much and winds up killing the fish. If it seems to be acting ok, let it be and hope for the best, imo.

Besides, theoretically the entire tank is infected now, so by merely QTing the infected fish and medicating back to health... as soon as it goes back into the DT its just going to be reintroduced to the ich. The only surefire way at this point would be to QT all the fish, medicate and keep them out of the display for 6-8 weeks. And even then, on rare occassions, ich has been known to be dormant in the substrate and can reinfect at a later time.

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Yeah, I agree... If the fish is eating well and not showing signs of labored breathing, I would just add a garlic extract (I use Kent garlic extreme) and let it fight it off on its own. I had an outbreak like that, my royal gramma kept getting it for a good 2 months and after I started adding the garlic it slowly fought it off and has been fine since. Sometimes the stress of catching, quarantining, and medicating is too much and winds up killing the fish. If it seems to be acting ok, let it be and hope for the best, imo.

Besides, theoretically the entire tank is infected now, so by merely QTing the infected fish and medicating back to health... as soon as it goes back into the DT its just going to be reintroduced to the ich. The only surefire way at this point would be to QT all the fish, medicate and keep them out of the display for 6-8 weeks. And even then, on rare occassions, ich has been known to be dormant in the substrate and can reinfect at a later time.

"DITTO"

18oreefer

+270
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I know im a little late on this but if you r still having problems with it cleaner shrimp is the way to go. My hippo had a pretty bad case of it abd over night the cleaners would clean him rite off. You could also go with no sick fish www.nosickfish.com its a little pricey but it works. Definatly keep up with the garlic though even after its gone.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: