Justin_NY

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
i am able to return my pump to marinedepot. thx God.
i am trying to change other pump. do u guys think i should get the same brand( mag drive) or other brand. i have a 58 gallon tank, and i think 9.5 mag drive is to power full for my tank. iam thinking switching it to 500 gph. what do u think guys

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
What are you using the pump for? The Mag drive 9.5 is a pretty large pump, does about 700 - 900 gph which is pretty stronger for a 58gal tank.

If you don't want to go to a lower Mag Drive model look at either the Rio pump, which alot of people don't like them as they burn out, or the Eheim hobby pumps. I have an Eheim hobby pump running my wet/dry since 1988 and it's still running strong and doesn't increase the temp in the tank.

glipper69

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
how about a dophiin Dp series. I use the DP1200 on my skimmer, I love it, super quiet much more energy efficient than the mag pumps. and these pumps can trully go in or out the water, I know the mag can also, but they tend to get very hot and noisy out of the water.

I use tthe DP1200 out of the water, and I can't here it at all. also very little heat exchange, unlike the mags.

Good lUck,
Frank

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Justin if you feel the mag drive 9.5 is too much flow (which it shouldn't be for your SPS tank) you could plumb it to a SCWD which will lower the flow and make a random current in your reef. If your looking for a different brand submersible pump try a ocean runner pump. They have excellent reviews.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I have a mag 7 I will trade you if you want. I have it on my 20gal Setup I am currently building. I have a SCWD and it's not enough flow for me. I've only tested the pump with fresh water so the pump is almost brand new.

let me know if you want. You'll save on shipping. If you live in the city, I'll come pick it up and bring you the mag 7. I'll even throw in a 1/2" full union ball valve!

BC

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: