kigs

<3 palytoxin
Rating - 97.2%
35   1   0
It's too long, it's too long...! It's 1AM and my eyes are killing me...I wish there were MR sparknotes. =\ I sent a PM to Paul w/ this question - " Is there a certain distance from the shore or depth I need to collect the water at, or can it just be done nearby the docks?"

kigs

<3 palytoxin
Rating - 97.2%
35   1   0
I think there are few differences with his system compared to mine that concerns me. I wanted to do a weekly WC w/ NSW, but his thread states that he only does it about five times a year. Also, the amount of corals in his system that might take up trace elements in his tank seems also much less compared to mine. Has there been a study on the trace element levels of local SW? (Ca, Mag, Alk etc)

kigs

<3 palytoxin
Rating - 97.2%
35   1   0
That thread was real helpful, thanks Brendan. Esp. post #21 and #28. I think I'll definitely give it a try and also test the water parameters after I collect to see how different the salinity and trace element levels are. My only concern is that I do not have an access to a boat go far out but I'm going to see if I can collect few gallons of water from the Halfmoon beach shore nearby.

Chemchef, I read that you collect your own NSW too - where do you go? Near the yacht club? *Glad to hear the pieces are doing well btw!

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I have used NSW and had no probs... I even say my colors were better when I used it.. When I use IO as a water change My tank goes throughbigger changes and even RTN on some corals,, but I only do water changes 2 or 3 times a year... If you have a small system I would diatom it first, not that that would make a difference though.. I pick up from a dock I use to launch my boat at during the incoming tide... But then again I'm crazy, I use methanol to cycle nitrates down to 0,,,,lmao.... Never had a nitrate problem in 4 years now though...lol...

I had the most probs when I do asw changes,,,,(ie algae outbreak, rtn, and Paying for salt),,,,lmao...

Last edited:

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Yea. I just walk down to the end of the dock. The water is pretty clean over here. Im thinking of installing a pump to make it easy to collect.
I have old cement that I got out of the bay as my live rock also.
Nobody can tell the difference, and its teaming with life.

That thread was real helpful, thanks Brendan. Esp. post #21 and #28. I think I'll definitely give it a try and also test the water parameters after I collect to see how different the salinity and trace element levels are. My only concern is that I do not have an access to a boat go far out but I'm going to see if I can collect few gallons of water from the Halfmoon beach shore nearby.

Chemchef, I read that you collect your own NSW too - where do you go? Near the yacht club? *Glad to hear the pieces are doing well btw!

cb747

How many is too many?
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Plainly put the fish and corals we have come from NSW so if collected far enough from shore you cant go worng. I dont use NSW for the simple reason im too lazy to go collect it and shlep it back and forth. as an FYI Atlantis Marine World uses NSW collected from Shinnecock inlet.

kigs

<3 palytoxin
Rating - 97.2%
35   1   0
prattreef, I would love to know as well.

Keith P - yeah, definitely but I'm pretty new to this as well. I'm trying to find out suitable areas in PW too. This is what Paul B recommended "A good place there is at the Sands Point Preserve, there is also another place not far in Cow Bay. There is a road that goes to the water but I only know it from the water and don't know how to get there by car. It's just east of Arizona Ice Tea's house.
Of course better water would be off Jones Beach."

Chemchef, maybe you could give me a call next time you collect? I'll come over with a mag pump or something.

Also, a friend recommended that I look into the metals present in the local SW, along with testing for the usual parameters such as ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, ca, alk, mg etc etc. Has there been any publication on these data for the local waters?

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: