Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
We are due for new bulbs shortly and are undecided on which to try out next. Anyone have pics using either of these bulbs? I know it is difficult to gauge from a photo but may give me a better idea.

We are looking to go more blue than what we have currently. We now have the Iwaskis.

TIA!

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I just picked up the icecap 250w 20k at the NJRC swap, I am glad that I got them. the color is blue/white and it brings out the colors in the corals especially green.

juiceguy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
i was never a fan of the phoenix 14k, it looked more 20k than 14k. i am currently using the Ushio 14k and this bulb does not get the praise it deserves.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
i was never a fan of the phoenix 14k, it looked more 20k than 14k. i am currently using the Ushio 14k and this bulb does not get the praise it deserves.

I agree 100%. The best stand alone lamp I have ever used. A bit bluer than the Iwasaki, but still closer to a 10K than 20K. Remember ballasts play a big role too. I use Icecap ballasts and love this combo.

Search for the Prattreef tank build threads and there are tons of pics (ellebelle's photos are very accurate color wise).

The Phoenix is very blue, much closer to a 20K UNLESS you overdrive them on an HQI ballast which makes them burn whiter and then they are quite nice. On the IC ballast they are too blue for my tastes.

kris

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I went back to the Phoenix bulbs after using the Ushios, The Ushio's started to get a warm color shift after 6 months. The Iwasaki's your using now are a much crisper white than the Ushio or Phoenix assuming your using the bluewave 7 ballast. The Phoenix gives me a touch of blue that I like.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: