Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I've been attempting to cure some Tonga & Kaelini rocks without a protein skimmer.yikes I don't have another skimmer to spare, I did place an old Seaclone I had laying around for water circulation which it is all it does and a heater..
I have to say that I have never done this before. My original live rocks were all purchased alive.
Now for the problem. I think I've had them in the bin for like 3 or 4 weeks. Two weeks ago everything was off the charts. So I did a water change.
Last week the ammonia was 0 and the trites were 1.6. Good, right. Now today I don't know what to think; Ammonia is up .3, trites .3 and trates are 15.
The trites and the trates I get, but what is up with the Ammonia?
What besides the skimmer am I doing wrong?

thewolfguy

shadow member
Rating - 92.3%
24   2   0
rocks

try taking a few cycled rocks from your main tank as well as making sure the current rocks in their do not smell like sulfur. If they do, then you know you had something die off on them.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Is It Getting Light ?{ Dont Need Light } U Have A Power Head In There For Water Movement, And Should Have Let Water Stay In There And Let It Fully Cycle

I have the lid sitting on top of the bin.
The only PH is the one attached to the stupid sc.
That is what I thought, but another reefer stated otherwise.

try taking a few cycled rocks from your main tank as well as making sure the current rocks in their do not smell like sulfur. If they do, then you know you had something die off on them.

No sulfur smell.;) Rocks were completely cooked before I got them.
Came to me so white and pretty! Kinda of shame that they won't stay that way once they go in my tank.:tongue1:

i have a aqua c skimmer ev180 you can borrow. i have it and could not sell it so its sitting here

Thank you ecvernon! Will let you know!

Is it necessary to have a skimmer on them? Or is it just a matter of time before all the numbers fall into place?

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
It is possible that you still have decaying matter within the rocks. That's why the ammonia returned after the water change. When i was curing rocks i kept on curing it until the skimmer stopped producing skim mate. The water was clear but the amount of thick skimmate that was being pulled out of the rock was amazing. It was clear to me that although it was not visible there was alot of decaying organic matter with in the rocks. Best just to be sure everything has leached out of your rocks before they leach out in your main display

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
The following should help. Is the rock directly on the bottom of the curring vat ? If so lift up with eggcrate...flow completely around and under the rock helps tremendousely. In addition, do not cram the rocks on top of one another(if you have the room..many people do not and thus the giant rockpile in a brut trashcan method:splitspin) spread them apart...becouse once again you need flow around all of the rock.....A skimmer is a must. and a heater as well as multiple power jets will help. In addition, i also use gfo in my vats as well. You will probably have to do 2-3 water changes before getting to the point you want to be at. Also when doing a water change from your main tank use this water to seed your curing vat. When your nitrates are close to nil and phoshates are close to 0 you are done. Hope this helped.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thanks closetfishgeek!:)

Sorry guys, I should have updated this thread.:eek:

The rock has been cured and it is actually sitting in my reef right now.;) Been there a week now....
Never used any skimmer to speak of, just the old seaclone w/mj1200 for circulation and a heater and 1(one) water change.;)
All the numbers had fallen to zero with the examption of the trates which were at around 10.:approve:

When I get a chance I will take and post pics. My life at the moment has become extremely complecated.:knockedou So please bear with me a little.

Thanks for all the help guys, I truly do appreciate it.......:hug::cheekkiss:hug:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thanks guys. All animals are happy with their new digs!;)

It's a bit weird, the dramatic contrast between the old and the new rocks.lol But I happen to like the look, wish I could keep them nice and white.:tongue1::splitspin

Attachments

• new rocks in reef 005.jpg
    new rocks in reef 005.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 40
  • new rocks in reef 006.jpg
    new rocks in reef 006.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 39
  • new rocks in reef 007.jpg
    new rocks in reef 007.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: