autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
hi all...

im planning to use substrate for this new tank ..
its a oceanic 30g cube (20x18x21) and i will be using 2 tunze nanostreams for flow (1x 6045 and 1x 6025)...plus my return is a eheim 1262 which will be split into 2 nozzles....the eheim will be also feeding a manifold and a frag tank so flow should be mildly reduced...

my last tank was barebottom but i wanted to use about 3-4" of aragonite or some type of heavier substrate ...
what do you guys use for your high flow tanks...i dont plan to use crushed coral...so far im looking at this type of off the shelf ones called "special grade substrate" which seems to be the larger of the sand/substrates in a bag...

thanks for any input...

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
big grained substrate is a nitrate trap

go no sand OR you can look into larger grained sand but I wouldnt use crushed coral or aragonite
IMO ofcoarse

I wish I went no sand(bare bottom) but I used fiji pink sand alittle bit of a larger grain

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
the special grade holds up really well to high flow.

i have about 80x turnover. i got one barespot in the front middle where the 2 tunzes flow collide. I filled the hole w/ a handful of crushed coral and it doesnt move.

autoponicz