natureboy1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Maybe some one can help , I just got a 210 and it came with 3 ten gallon buckets filled with sand , the only prob is the tank was taken down a year ago , is the sand still good ??

premilove

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will probably take a longer time to be established..if you decided to use it obv rinse it out first and put it in..is the sand completely dry? i would imagine so if it was from a year ago.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
If the sand was not cleaned and then stored it will have alot of decaying matter in it along with detritus. rinse the sand out thoroughly before you reuse it in the tank. also know that all the beneficial bacteria will have to be established again.

good luck

natureboy1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Its wet and smelly , but however theres alot of it and i need it to fill my new 210 , I have a 90 with a nice sand so i guess ill use it to seed this one .I guess ill just rinse the buckets with regular tap water thanks guys

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Sand is good provided it comes from reef system. Make sure it wasn't used in Fish only system treated with copper. Simply rinse it thoroughly and it'll be good as good as new. When you rinse the sand do it in small batches. I recently used Oceanic bucket to rinse and would clean 2-3 gallons at a time.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: