BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I understand that salinity (specific gravity) is optimal between 1.024 and 1.027 but is it better at the lower or higher end for a reef tank. Also what would the implications be when going out of the range for extended periods. Which is safer?

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
From my reading, you want to be closer to 1.025-1.026. Some say stay down to 1.024 for nanos (as the tend to spike more with evap).

Any true experts?

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
From my knowledge, you want a higher specific gravity if you are keeping SPS (around 1.027) and if keeping all others you will want to have at the lower end 1.025. How much are your referring to when you say out of range for a extended period of time and how long are we talking about?

fripclaksid

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I once lowered my salinity all the way down to 1.013 because I had really aggressive ick but then I had a porqupine puffer, volitan lion and a snowflake eel, so they weren't too stressed out over it.

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
u shouldnt notice any difference. Do you see a difference? Maybe some of your softies will not open up all the way with the 1.028 but everything else should be fine.

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Yeah, they weren't opening up. I slowly lowered to current 1.026, will lower more with next water change. Everything is opening and back to normal. I was just wondering if that was in fact the cause of them not opening for a while and whether somebody can confirm based on knowledge or their own observation.

Thanks Marek.

P.S. I am sure my 1 year old daughter dropping dishwashing sponge in the fuge didn't help there either.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: