gegema

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hello again,

I've finally decided on my new tank size 36"x 24"x 24" (90 gals. plumbing undecided) it will be made of aqua clear glass (low-lead, starfire, starphire).

This will be by first low-lead and hopefully my last (haha) so I want this to be nice.

Any comment , suggestions and vendors recommendations and experience will be greatly appreciated.

Tanks,
gegema

gegema

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
hey spykes,

I did buy aqua glass from Bendheim glass in nyc years ago. But there way to big know. I believe there is a place in Jamaica, Queens Dundyglass.com that carrys starfire, starphire or diamante .

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Starphire is just a brand name for low iron glass. I dont know of any vendors in NYC, but I hear good things about GLASSCAGES I believe Jhale got his tank from them. Click on the link to get the costs and email them for the shipping fee. They reply within 12 hours.

As far as plumbing goes, definitely go for predrilled with overflow. Good for you, easier to plumb and has a better resale value if you decide to upgrade etc....

hth
Herman

gegema

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
my specs for the tank are with 5 holes predrill and an overflow (placement on the holes undetermined 1" and 3/4" dia.) and for 1/2" glass with low-iron on front and two sides. Yes, starphire, starfire is a brand name that different manufactures use to name their line of low iron. not sure as to what % of iron each manufactures has in their low-iron line of glass. the lower the % of iron the clearer the glass.

So far I have in two estimates.

approx. $500 - $1100.

as far as the added cost on using low-iron one company's est. was an additional $100.00

Thanks,
gegema

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
gegema said:
my specs for the tank are with 5 holes predrill and an overflow (placement on the holes undetermined 1" and 3/4" dia.) and for 1/2" glass with low-iron on front and two sides.

FYI, you will need bigger holes than 1" and 3/4" if you plan to use bulkheads of the same sizes.

1/2 inch glass for a 90 gallon tank is a bit of overkill, it would make it a nice tank and maybe you won't even need top bracing.

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
spykes said:
im thinking about rebuilding my tank right now.

damn, dave.. You just got your baby runninng and you're already thinking of rebuilding your tank.. gosh... you have alot of loots.. hahaha..

You have arylic, don't you? You want a glass tank now?

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
nah tom, i got a 125 i was thinking to transforming it to a 150 22Hx22Wx72 length, that or 165 22Hx24Wx72 depends on the money, i think the 150 cost alot less plus this is gonna be a while like next summer

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: