skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
I was rearranging things in my tank adding in a Kenya tree...... one of my rocks with a paly on it fell. When I went to grab it, I couldn't see exactly what I was clamping onto and it squished one of the palys. Now there is an excrement coming from it's head.

Now..... give me some clues on what I should do.

1. Take out the sucker right now before he pollutes everything?

2. He'll probably heal and won't pollute the water too much?

3. Do a 50% WC because of the pollutants thats coming out?

Any ideas. Don't want to kill any livestock currently in the tank.

Thanks!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Hey Skene...assuming that your urgent post was because you thought that the toxin from palys was dangerous to your tank..and here come all these folks saying, don't worry about it. If you haven't looked up palytoxin yet, the reason everyone seem so calm is that the toxin isn't so much harmful to the tank, it can be harmful to people. It's good that it raised your eyebrow though, shows you've been reading: Good for you!
I'll try and dig up a link for you about this subject, but for the meantime just always to remember to wear gloves when you handle a paly and always was your hands well afterwards!! :)

Last edited:

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
I never handle them directly.... only indirectly. I've learned a couple of things about things in the water, particularly because I am a nature buff. So I keep the hands away from the food for a better way to lack of words.
All comes from years and years of watching TV and learning on my own. Trial and error. Not to say that the forum(s) don't help, but I would rather not be caught with my pants down.

:)

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Looked up Palytoxin... Thanks Kathy for scaring the SH~Ts out of me...:)

Typical symptoms of palytoxin poisoning are angina-like chest pains, asthma-like breathing difficulties, tachycardia, unstable blood pressure, hemolysis (destruction of red blood cells), and an electrocardiogram showing an exaggerated T wave. The onset of symptoms is rapid, and death usually follows just minutes after.

Think it's worth wearing gloves now....

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
so does this mean i should rub that toxin on my skin as moisturizer?
Good thread cause I had no idea! I wont squeeze the guts out of those guys anymore

JK
i dont hurt them but that stuff is interesting

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Maybe we can refine Palytoxin into something we can call Patox, and we can sell it as a miracle injection replacement for Botox.

Or maybe we can make it into a ode de toilette and call it Paly... by MR.

Or maybe if we mix it with large doses of sugar and caffine we can make the next one shot energy drink, call it Paltox 5! Of course, it probably WOULD be a "One Shot" energy drink.... :lol:

Disclaimer: The above statements were written in jest and should not be tried or practiced at home. The author takes no responsibility for the actions of stupid people who think these were actually good ideas.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: