Malibu361

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Ok I have been reading about modding the skimmer with gate valves bigger pumps and mesh mod has anyone done all these and have pics or info and suggestions about doing it?I just bought a G2 mesh modded with a 5000 pump ..But I keep reading about the gate valve mod is that needed?pics or links? Thanks Sal

Malibu361

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
You know what ,I tried listing multiple questions into one thread and noone answers them after the initial thread title was answered ..Sorry if I am posting too many questions..I thought this site was to help answer questions???

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
MY G4 plus has the gate valve mod and recirculation mod

IMHO both worth doing

recirculation mod keeps the whole filter filled with bubbles and lots of turbulence. it's fed with an Ehiem hobby pump

the gate valve mod allows me to fine tune the level with in the skiimer
best part is I can keep the return pipe below the water level so it's quiet.

I haven done the mesh mod I didn't think it was worth the effort and I've heard that after a while you have to keep replacing the mesh

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
The best mod you can do with the ASM skimmers is to make them 100% gravity fed. That way all of the water from your tank - arguable the "foulest" water in your system - goes through the skimmer. Mine is modded to be gravity fed and re-circulating (but I didn't to it myself. :) )

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: