Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
This really should have been called "Catching engineer gobi"
I have been trying to get this engineer gobi out of my tank being he grew too large and ate all of my small fish so I built a couple of traps and caught almost all of my fish except the gobi I wanted.
I built a new trap today, put it in the tank and said
"what the hell" I don't have anything to do for a couple of hours, so I removed all the rocks, caught the gobi and stirred up the gravel.
It was time to aquascape and when I get in the mood I drag out the three diatom filters and see which ones are still working.
Two out of three isn't bad. I went through five of these things.
I don't know how you people have reef tanks with out one.
Anyway, I have been wanting to try something for a while so tonight seemed like a good time. I cut some old rocks to give them a flat side and I attached a flat plastic bast to them that will sit under the gravel to give it stability. These somewhat long thin rocks are the base for all the large heavy pieces of rock. Out of the 150lbs or so of rock, very little of it is touching the gravel.
My rocks are very large some weighing about 5 lbs and a foot long because I collected them myself in the Caribbean and Hawaii.
The rest I built out of cement covered PVC pipe.
For some reason I always have a five gallon bucket filled with rock left over that does not seem to fit. I still have five gallons from the last time I did this.
After I put the rock back I noticed I lost a gorgonian, it isn't dead, I just can't find it. I probably burried it while the tank was cloudy. I also heard a noise coming from the bucket with the extra rocks. I emptied it to find an algae bleeny. This fish was also forgotten the last time I removed the rock and it was in a bucket of water and rock in my workshop with no heater, food or circulation for a few weeks. You can't kill this fish.
The aquascaping is very drastic and I will take a picture when the water clears. I still have two diatoms running on it.
Cleaningtank005.jpg

Cleaningtank007.jpg

Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
It's very open. I don't really like seeing the rear glass so I have to do something about that. There are hardly any corals now so it is real easy. When it was full of corals you can't just take all the rocks out. You have to put the corals somewhere. I left the few in there which is the reason I can't find a gorgonian. Maybe I will see a piece sticking up when it is clearer

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Poor Algae Blenny, he gets no respect :P

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with rusty pony clamps holding water change tubing :)

I like less rock work in the tank also. My next aquascaping will have as little rock as possible.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Jonathin, I like it also but I don't like seeing the back glass. The lights are not on yet so I can't tell if I am going to change anything yet. It only took about two hours to do the job and most of that was waiting for the two diatoms to clear everything because I kept stirring it. It has only been a couple of years since the last time I stirred up the gravel. I diden't lift the UG plates as that is a full day and only needs to be done every two decades or so.
Those are my "new" clamps, the other ones don't work anymore, they rotted through.
You can't have a tank without those clamps.
I also went through 5 diatoms, they are not designed too well for salt water.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
BOBBY BOLIVIA (I know that is large, I just pasted it there,
Anyway Wingo said you could have the gobi. I will call you today.
I see in one of your posts you need some rubble and rock, I have some of that you can have too. You also asked someone about an auto top off, I have one I can show you. Not much coral though. I am sure you have way more than me.
After the lights come on I will see if I can find all my fish. I think all the really small ones disappeared. I may get some more today.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I put the lights on a couple of hours early to see how it looks. I do like it as it is very open and has a lot less of the smaller rock.
The fish are not awake so I can't find most of them. I really hope the smaller blue stripped pipefish is in there somewhere as he is my favorite and easy to lose when you remove rock.
Mated pairs of them are not easy to find.
The mandarin is up early and giving me very dirty looks as the two diatom filters, I am sure desimated the pod population.
He just stares at the rock, then stares at me as if to say,
"if I was only 180 lbs heavier I would show you what to do with that diatom filter"
I guess I will put some corals back in there as there are only a few now that I am sure I made the water problem a thing of the past (I hope)

All cleaned up and ready to go.
Too sterile looking for me, I have to go to the sea and collect some mud
(that half dead gorg is actually half alive. It used to be just a dead stick
Cleaningtank001.jpg

Cleaningtank002.jpg

Cleaningtank008.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: