jacuglietto

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've got a tank that has been cycling for a few weeks now, and I have been very good with topping off the water. I left home for a fewdays and when i got back, the water line was below the tank rim. It wasn't until just then that I realized MY TANK IS UNEVEN. In a 48 wide X 18 deep X 24 tall - There is between a 1/4 to 1/2 inch descrepency between the water level on the right and left sides of the tank. Im not sure if this is a large enough amount to completely scrap the last two weeks of cycling, or if there are any fixes that anyone knows of.

Any ideas on how to fix, or if this is as dangerous as i think it is would be helpful.

junglebase

Will always be a Newbie..
Rating - 99.4%
166   1   0
I've got a tank that has been cycling for a few weeks now, and I have been very good with topping off the water. I left home for a fewdays and when i got back, the water line was below the tank rim. It wasn't until just then that I realized MY TANK IS UNEVEN. In a 48 wide X 18 deep X 24 tall - There is between a 1/4 to 1/2 inch descrepency between the water level on the right and left sides of the tank. Im not sure if this is a large enough amount to completely scrap the last two weeks of cycling, or if there are any fixes that anyone knows of.

Any ideas on how to fix, or if this is as dangerous as i think it is would be helpful.

Hey James, I would suggest keep that tank level. 1/4" to 1/2" is a little on the risky side in my opinion. If i were you, i would remove the water and the rocks, put some shims under the stand to keep it level then put back the water and live rock.

Alex

jacuglietto

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
ive got a 35 gallon garbage can that I use for water changes, and a 35 gallon storage tub that I will clean out this weekend. hopefully with 65-70 gallons out and a few 5g buckets, i can lighten the thing enough to fit some shims underneath. This is my third time round setting up a tank, and i cant believe i forgot to check if my basement floor was level, I feel like an idiot.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
ive got a 35 gallon garbage can that I use for water changes, and a 35 gallon storage tub that I will clean out this weekend. hopefully with 65-70 gallons out and a few 5g buckets, i can lighten the thing enough to fit some shims underneath. This is my third time round setting up a tank, and i cant believe i forgot to check if my basement floor was level, I feel like an idiot.

You DO NOT want to take only SOME of the water out..you need to take ALL of the water & rock out in order to shim it or you stand a very good chance of cracking the tank when you are shimming it.
That extra 20 g of water you'd leave in there weighs about 160 pounds..not a good idea to leave it in there.
Pick up another bin and put the rest of the water or rocks in it..please :)

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
YES!!! As Kathy said. TAKE OUT ALL THE WATER, ROCKS, AND SAND. Everyone can always use an extra garbage can... I would hate to see that tank crack and you get cut to save 20.00. Please be carefull, and let us know how it turns out.

jacuglietto

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
yea i figured that would be the right move. Ive got the container space to keep everything, so now I know what my weekend is looking like. Does anyone know if this will seriously hinder my tanks progress?

Thank you everyone for your help.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: