Jdubbs

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I've been seeing some hair algae build up and gather on my sand and rock. I change my phosban reactor once a month, and its still an issue. What other cause could it be? lighting is on timers (halides on 6 hours a day, actinics on for 10 hours) is that to long?

Suggestions please

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I've been seeing some hair algae build up and gather on my sand and rock. I change my phosban reactor once a month, and its still an issue. What other cause could it be? lighting is on timers (halides on 6 hours a day, actinics on for 10 hours) is that to long?

Suggestions please

How big is your tank, what is is stocked with, how often do you feed, and what are you feeding.... What type of skimmer are you using, what do your water tests say... are you using ro/di water.....?

muntai

CEO
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been seeing some hair algae build up and gather on my sand and rock. I change my phosban reactor once a month, and its still an issue change it more often. What other cause could it be? a few dozen comes to mind lighting is on timers (halides on 6 hours a day, actinics on for 10 hours) is that to long? normally no
Suggestions please

18oreefer

+270
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
i had the same problem for the longest time untill i read somewhere that hair algea can live on the smallest amout of nitrate (fractions of a part). use ro/di if your not already and perhaps look into a good denitrator www.aquariepure.com (no its not my compay since this is the second post i have mentioned it. im just going by my experiances, and that was when my tank turned around)if you have the tank stocked with a lot of fish this would be a good something to look into.

befor
0322082049.jpg

after
0917081833.jpg

Jdubbs

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I have a 75 gallon, + have been using ro-di for more than a year, and only switched the media only 2 month ago (buckeye field supply model) and tps meter reads 0 parts. I will check my PH, but I 2 part dose alk and calc daily, and I wouldn't think its low. I have 2 false percs, a 4 line wrasse and a powder brown. Feed mysis, and a small piece of algae on a clip daily. every 3rd day feed cyclopsis. I had a MSO xtreme skimmer with octopus that broke down last week (waiting for new octopus motor) and have a remora on there for now.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: