JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Ok im upgrading some 70 gallons in my new tank and wonder if I could get away with half tap water, or at least DI water for it and do all RODI water changes from here out.

Or does anyone know where I can get some cheap RODI in decent quantity?

Thanks in advance

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I would avoid the tap, but there is no reason other than expense that you can't use carbon/DI and skip the RO. This is what I do exclusively without issue.

I agree, I use a pre-filter, then a carbon, then a DI canister, that gets about 100 gallons at 0 TDS. after that you'll have to change the DI. If the water slows down check the pre-filter and carbon for clogging.

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Pratt and Jhale, this seems like a fairly quick way to do it while minimalizing negative effects on my reef and live stock. I might buy 20-30 gallons from LFS for $1 a gallon just so I can get livestock in as soon as possible, to ease the transition

HappyInWater

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Other option would be to go out and buy yourself some distilled water.
I upgraded from a 55gal (w/ 20 gal sump) to 120 gal (w/ 30gal sump) and couldnt use my RO/DI unit as my house was under renovation. I bought myself around 85 gallons of distilled water and mixed it with reef crystals salt.

charlie1225

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Other option would be to go out and buy yourself some distilled water.
I upgraded from a 55gal (w/ 20 gal sump) to 120 gal (w/ 30gal sump) and couldnt use my RO/DI unit as my house was under renovation. I bought myself around 85 gallons of distilled water and mixed it with reef crystals salt.
I hear distilled may come with some heavy metal. The way it's filtered, using an evaporation process to the roof of the unit (which is metal) may cause this.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: