House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
HOF/SWC Invert specials for the swap - We will bring $10 bags of the following animals:

Cerith and Astrea Snails - 13 to a bag
Nassarius Snails - 10 to a bag
Mixed red and blue leg hermit crabs - 13 to a bag

Additionally, we will bring the following:

Wild caught peppermint shrimp - $5
Emerald crabs - $5
Sand sifting cucumbers - $14

All will be first come first serve. See you at the show.

House & Swimmer

Sumbub

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I'll be there for some hermits. I may need some nassarius as well! Do you have any tiger tail cukes in stock that you can bring to the swap? I've been looking for one for a while.

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there such a thing as tank bred peppermint shrimp? Is there anything tank bred that eats aptasia?

Hi Leslie
Yes there is, please have a look here and here .

41yfTKuUWrL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The book in question was written by a Scientist friend of mine, Ricardo Calado who works as a researcher at Aveiro University and is a member of Reefforum.net. He was also co-founder of Lusoreef, a Portuguese company dedicated to the breding of peppermint shrimps, sea horses, Lysmata setticaudata (Monaco Shrimp)etc...

I have the complete article in English and I translated it to Portuguese (...yes I translated to Portuguese and article written by a Portuguese originally in English...:tongue1::Blurp::lol_large) and published it at Reefforum.net and got permission from Ricardo to to that, so I'm going to ask if the English original version can be published here, and if so, I'll propose it to the next Reefs Magazine Issue.

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Is there such a thing as tank bred peppermint shrimp? Is there anything tank bred that eats aptasia?

I know some of them are at leasts cultured even though not necessarily tank bred. That's the thing that trickle me to try breeding them myself. Well, I gave up after couple weeks-a lot of hazzle-the supporting requirements are just too space consuming. MY babies did not get to adult stage, so no idea if they will eat aptasia. My GUESS is they will as, from observing the regular ones in the trade, I think they smell the aptasia, not a learned experience, and trickle their appetite. If you would put an aptasia that you pull from the rock and directly put them in a bucket where you have freshly come in Peppermint shrimps. You can see some of them rush over it. I put flakes in at the same time, less shrimps rush over. When I repeat the same procedures with Cleaner shrimps, they left the wounded aptasia alone after checikng it a bit. They all rush over to the flakes.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: