NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Certain Media's Require A Different Amount Of Flow, Really The Total Water Volume Woulddetermine How Much Media Is Needed To Use In The Reactor, I Am Running Around 180g Through Mine And I Have Phosban And Carbon, Not Saying Using Both Medias In The Same Reactor Is The Best Way To Do It As They Require Different Flows But Thats How I Do It

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
When putting them in the same reactor, it seems that the phosban is the more critical flow rate. If the flow through the phosban is too much, it will grind itself up and polute your tank. The surface of the phosban should look like a slow simmer which in my tank seems to be very little flow.

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
Now just my 2 cents but I personally change carbon every 2-3 weeks.....on the other hand my rowa generally gets changed out every 5-7 weeks....so this would be a pain in the *** to do if you combine the two. Now im sure you can cut down the amount of rowa you use to change it out every 2-3 weeks so it coincides with the carbon change...but why would you do this. In addition, i run 2 different flow rates through the two medias. I try to make upkeep as easy and minimal as possible.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The instructions on my carbon say to remove after 3 days as the carbon will be plugged with organics by that time but will continue to remove trace minerals. I usually leave it for a week.

The instructions on my phosban say to use it until the media is depleted. My phosphates are always off the chart, so my phosban is depleted pretty quickly. My goal is to change it once a week also.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: