Wolverine57

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.4%
246   4   0
What do you think is a fair amount to charge, to plumb a 4-way ocean motion? I'm very curious in the event someone ask me to install one...LOL

I heard from a fellow reefer, that he knew someone who contracted a vendor from the same club. This fellow reefer first question, how much was the cost to install this 4-way ocean motion? Let me tell you that I almost hit the ceiling, and that was not my money. Sick, let say it was a ridiculous amount of money, just to plumbed/glue together PVC pipes, elbows, union and ball valves to connect a 4-way OM. From the conversation this vendor charged by the hour appx $75.00

$75.00 taking in mine the initial quote was base on a higher rate per hour. Before you make any comments, please read carefully the important factors here.

1) Vendor IS NOT a license plummer
2) Does not have a store front (non LFS)
3) Vendor belongs to the same club (friend)

After this conversation, regarding the work and cost I ask the fellow reefer, why did he post a thread asking for help! I had mention that after being in this hobby for several years, I can admit that these forums are a source of knowledge, and a place to meet great people, a place to get great deals. Hmmmmmm Great deals is the question!! That one time I posted a thread for help, had a couple come from Connecticut and a member who is a NYPD came on his only free time to plumb my tank. I had offer cash, and they refused, only wanted food and something to drink.

I was curious how long it took and the final out of pocket, it took the entire day, in fact the vendor came back the following day to finish the job, this is obsurd. This was an abuse of the hobby, a friendship that we are suppose to have in these forums. I understand that a vendor have to make somewhat a living (a profit), but when this vendor has no storefront, meaning no overhead this is insane.

My thoughts, if the vendor is a professional, they need to be able to work at the pace of a professional. You can't charge someone extra for your inexperience, as its not there fault you dont know what you are doing. This hobby cost enough as it is and we as reefers are supposed to help off set that cost by helping each other!

Like to hear your input!

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
If you are asking a simple question of how much to charge for a service, you are including too much information that makes no sense.
It's pointless unless you have a motive.

The other "vendor" can charge whatever he wants no matter if he is licensed, has a store front, etc. The customer could have simply said "no thanks."

Straight up.....
Being a vendor.......this thread is not a look good for you.

Last edited:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
more out of curiousity, what does any of these have to do with the price charged ?
1) Vendor IS NOT a license plummer
2) Does not have a store front (non LFS)
3) Vendor belongs to the same club (friend)
you doent have to be a licensed plumber to do this, no license required or needed.
not saying your looking to start something, but if your that curious why not send the vendor a pm with these concern's. also your only hearing what they are telling you, maybe not all what had to be done. if that person was charged 8 hr's maybe it was excessive, but if they were warned it could run up to x amount of money then they had the chance to not have it done, i know personally it took me around 2 hr's to install my 2 way in my own tank which i have easy access on, in-between cutting, re-cutting ect. now as to them not having over head because they dont own a store, well fronting money to buy equiptment and so on is over head, plus if they sell corals or live stock they still have electric, and so on, no different then any of us but to a larger degree of cost. and on a side note labor rates have nothing to do with them having a store. as i have been offered a few tanks to maintain in my area from my lfs with a rate of $75 an hr minimum of an hr

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
The going rates for any installation or service work runs 60-120 an hour. Doesn't matter if they run through a store or are certified for whatever they do. Ive had tools and machines that cost me 95$ an hour to repair + parts and they tack on drive times to and from the job. All the plumbers i know, licensed or not, charge 100-110 per hour + drive time. One guy charges double rates after 10pm. You have to remember the prices are due to inconsistency of the service intervals and "expertise" evaluation and solving of the problem. Not many people can do that and the people that can for themselves do it by themselves without involving someone to service or install.

I had a salesperson over today to talk about a piece of machinery i was looking into for our shop. One company he used to deal with used to be based out of california wih the machinery coming from europe and for their service they charged 110$ an hour but they tacked on plane tickets to the east coast, cab/transport fees, and food costs. The time it took the guy to fly there and back plus his time to and from the airport, the time it took him to fix the machine, and the time it took him to eat were all calculated at 110$ an hour. Crazy, but the cost to lose a 250-500 thousand dollar machine that was part of an assembly line for a few days to a week makes that service charge seem like pennies.

Be happy that your not looking at the bill from a consulting agency =0) You'ed really hit the roof after some of the numbers ive seen.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
no comparision of your local car mechanic and a dealership, i've ran a few mechanical shops and currently work at a dealership, alot of this they cannot properly diagnos or have access to on info or let alone reset, and dealership rates arent that much different then your local mechanic

besides johnny if it was that easy and being a vendor yourself why did you need someone to come plumb your tank

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I feel I have to clear the water here. I am the customer in question and from this I believe you'll be able to find out who the vendors are.

To start, I'm 100% satisfied with the work that was done and would contract these vendors again if I had another complex build.

With out going into too much detail. Yes I was charged $75/hour and accepted this due to:
1. The complexity of the plumbing
2. The plumbing is guarantied.
3. I know I was getting a professional job, done correctly

Yes, the job was not completed on the first day. But, the vendors made up on this by:
  • Returning to finish the job free of charge.
  • Provided me with a great frag pack and many discounts.

I do not know what “Corals Mania” intentions are with this thread, hopefully is isn’t to put the vendors in question “under the bus”. Again, I would contract these vendors again and continue to do business with them.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: