diver

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help.
I have a 130g. glass bw front about 2 1/2 yrs old. I have 8 reef safe fish, 1 hard coral, 3 soft coral, star polyp colony, other polyps and carpet anemone.
Filtertion is through a cyclone bio filter, with internal protein skimmer, 20g. refugium, with calupera growth, and chiller/heater.
I recently changed my 2-250 w.12,000k metal halide bulbs to 2-250w. 10000k bulbs. Since the change, i have been geting a recurring growth of red slime algae. I combat it with red sea slime remover. It goes away for a short time. BUt recently I have developed an unknown growth of a brownish green hair algae. I do not know what it is or how to get ridf of it. It is carpeting my polyps and part of the colony has died as a result. Any info is appreciated. I have ordered new 250w 12000k bulbs as i suspect the lighting had something to do with it. I have tested the water and all are within acceptable parameters.
:iamwithst

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Drop a good amount of carbon into your system and you should probably add more flow in the fom of a powerhead or if you can just upgrade the return pump.. Also what test kits are you using??? Salifert should be the minimum you test phosphate and nitrate with..

diver

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I go about adding carbon?? (sorry if this sounds ignorant.)I want to try cleaning the return pump. This should increase flow. I test fo PH, Ammo, Nitrite, and Nitrate. Have also tested for calcium. Also have Seachem Reef Special test for Phosphate, SIlicate, and Iodide,but I haven't used this test I some time.

18oreefer

+270
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
i know from what i have read, and in my personal experiance red slime is a clear indicator that you have high nitrates. the red sea stuff is just a bandaid for the slime algea. i would think about getting a better set of test kits or at the very least bring some water to a LFS to confirm your readings.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: