nasone

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
looking to upgrade can someone tell me the best place to buy a new rimless cube about 30-50 gal the only place i have heard of is glass cages but i read mixed reviews about them? also i would like it glass?

nasone

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
thanks all for the info i am still researching all also not sure now if i want glass or acrylic? also Kimoyo do you build glass or acrylic tanks and do you have any pics of any tanks you have built i am very interested and ready to upgrade after x-mass

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Bob - thanks for the words.

I should clarify my statement a little. Tanks are exposed to a lot of pressure, but when the top is removed it exposes the corners to even greater amounts. My concerns are seam coverage and glass cracking. I prefer acrylic in these situations because its stronger and lighter, meaning you can use 1" thick acrylic easily and still have a light tank. You can use this glass but it gets very heavy. In addition, if the seam work is sloppy it just puts more stress on the glass (same as with acrylic) because less area is holding the tank together meaning more pressure on it. The cracking comes in because the glass has a harder time dealing with not being thick enough or strong enough to take the pressure on these small areas.

Elos has some very nice tanks though.

Nasone - I only work with acrylic.

Last edited:

nasone

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
thanks Kimoyo makes allot more sense now i will be in touch when i am ready for the upgrade i will be looking for a 30 to 40 gal cube. other then strength what other differences would make acrylic better are they as clear for viewing as a glass tank and will the acrylic scratch easier than the glass i know these might be armature questions but i have never owned a acrylic tank also do you have any pic's of the tanks you have made thanks again for all the great info

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Paul does some great work.

I have a rimless gc tank and while the silicone job is not the best it is braced on the bottom for support. You should do a search on reefcentral in the vendor forum for feedback/experience. Gc's customer service IME is not the best and they only have a 90 day warranty. If you are going glass Aquarium obsessed makes nice tanks. You should check out grundig5's thread. He also had a smaller cube gc tank.

As far as acrylic versus glass it's really a mater of personal preference. Acrylic tanks scratch easier but scratches are generally easier to remove. With a glass tank you can use low iron glass for a clearer view into your aquarium.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
nasone - acrylic scratches easier than glass.

acrylic scratches can be removed but you have to resurface the entire pane. Its not hard for someone like me to do but would be difficult for someone who has never done it before.

Some of the main issues with acrylic scratching is sand getting caught in magnets, panels curving from being too thin and scrapers that aren't very good. I help overcome this by using the correct thickness for the tank so it doesn't bow and one of the first things I will be selling when my forum starts in a few weeks is a scrapper that won't scratch acrylic no matter how hard you try to make it. And with it being rimless, that will help in cleaning the interior of the tank because you don't have to worry about getting around bracing. The main attraction to me when I was getting a tank is that once you get around 1" thick acrylic you start getting into bulletproof material. Which means I could hit it with a sledge hammer and it wouldn't break. And if the seams work is nice then your pretty well set. For someone living in an apartment that could be a very important thing.

BTW, definitely look around, there are some very good tank manufactures out there.

Last edited:

boozeman

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
elos70033.jpg

elos70034.jpg

elos70021.jpg

Chris217

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also looking for someone to build a glass tank for me but mine is going to be 100g. I have looked around. Most places that build really good tanks are in Canada. The shipping on a tank that size was out of this world. I am trying now to find someone in the area to build the tank or I am going to give it a try myself. Just have to find a place to buy the glass. I am in S.I. so if anyone knows a place or someone that builds tanks please let me know the info. Kimoyo if I go about acrylic could you PM me with a price on a rimless 48L X 20H x 24W. Thanks

nasone

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
thanks so much. WOW allot of info to swallow i am not in a rush to buy but when i do i want to get the best for my $ . also Boozeman the tank in the pic's is beautiful where is that from and is it glass very nice oh and how many gallons?

grundig5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The shipping from Aquarium Obsessed in Canada to NYC on my 48x30x18 braceless glass tank was $300 to my door with a lift gate. Its really not that expensive if you think about the amount of work that goes into crating and shipping something so large and heavy. Elos charges a bit more, but still very reasonable for what's being sent. I would not purchase another GC tank, I had one and it was ok... but if you are going rimless, then the fit and finish of the tank becomes very apparent. I also agree that a 1" thick braceless acrylic tank looks insanely cool.

Chris217

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cost is $1065 + shipping to my residence with a forklift $298 from Aquarium Obsessed. I still am looking around but its looking like I will be going with them. I would like to try and build it myself. Give me something to do during the winter.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: