Beaun

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Long time reader, first time poster) Sorry if this is in the wrong section, please move if it is.

So I have decided to start a local fish tank. After helping my brother with his reef tank for about a year now, I wanted to start my own. However, I want to make it a local fish tank instead of the glitz and glam of the reef tank.

I'm planning on starting with a 45 gallon rectangle, a canister filter for my bio/chem/phys filtration (recomendations on brand/specific item?), possibly the Current Sundial lighting set-up (recomendations), ofcourse a skimmer (recomendations), additional pumps for circulation, and possibly a heater if the temp is not high enough. As far as temp is concerned I was thinking around 70 would be adequate for anything that would be put in the tank.

I already have a Northern Puffer and several Porgies in a friends small tank. I do data collection for my local government in the bays and harbors, so getting fish and inverts is no problem. I was thinking of Striped Killifish, Atlantic Silversides (maybe, they are not the most hardy), Mumichugs, Winter Flounder (small size), Sheepshead Minnow, Tautog, Sea Robin (if i can get a small one). Obviously this is not an exhaustive list, nor are all these fish going to be present at once, but I will see what I can get at first.

For Inverts I was thinking of Spider Crabs, Mud Crabs, Mud Whelks, Slipper Shells, and Sand/Grass Shrimp. I know the puffer will eat inverts, but they are easy to replace, and if it proves to inconvenient I will retrn the puffer to my friends tank and stick with other locals. I was thinking of filter feeders like muscles, clams and oysters might be good too, seeing as muscles filter the most water. I'm not sure how well they would do in an aquarium setting though. Does anyone have any experience with these species in an aquarium setting. I know they keep them in large aquariums like Atlantis in Riverhead, but they are on a large scale. How will this effect how I need to filter the water myself as well?

As far as micro algae is concerned it would be easiest to get slipper shells and codium together, to have it weighted down. But would codium do well in an aquarium? Other easily collected algae would be ahardhiella, Ulva, Fucus, Porphyra and Enteromorpha. Any thoughts on what would do best? Eelgrass is another options, seeing as I have access to some used for planting, but I'm not sure it would do well in a small home setup.

Please any thoughts, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It will be a few months before the tank gets purchased and set up, so keep the thoughts coming. I will continue to post once the tank is set up and running.

Beaun

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Beaun

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read the tri-state-area guide, some new info, some stuff I already knew. What I'm looking for is some info from people who might have tried this in the past, or are currently doing something like this. I have not been able to find anything close to this anywhere other than here. Any info is appreciated, from filtration, to current and water flow, to species recommendations. All information is appreciated and considered.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Look at the 72 gallon tank thread in my signature.

check here as well: http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/general-discussion/46161-do-dont-list-local-collecting.html

Some Info Here: http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/general-discussion/42316-tank-reached-38-years-old.html

Some Info Here: http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/reefs-beginners/50001-local-northeastern-marine-tank.html

There is a lot more information on the board as well. Use the search function to find the info you are most interested in. :)

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
The only filter feeders I've attempted to keep was clams, mussels, barnacles and slipper shells. Clams and mussels have done well for me. Barnacles and slipper shells always died :(

Oh and I almost forgot about the red sponge. That has done real well for me :)

I've kept a lot of macro algae. The best has been the Ulva and Tenera. Hydroids have also done well but too well if you ask me.

As far as fish, you can see in my tank thread plus I wrote the article above based on my experience. I currently have many local fish and inverts. Some are kept in tropical aquariums like the Toadfish and Northern Puffer others are kept in a tank at 68 degrees like the starfish and seahorses.

Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
My local tank is going on almost 30 years. You should not use a heater at all no matter how cold the water gets. All local crabs will live forever expecially rock crabs or some call them spider crabs. I don't even filter it, I change the water with water I take out of my reef or I use NSW. I still have some mud snails alive from two or three years ago along with some grass shrimp. We have huge mantis shrimp in the Sound that do well but the anemones do not. Starfish do well if you feed them small clams but as Dom said the mussels don't live long nor do the barnacles. Fiddler crabs do well in a tank that has part of it out of the water for them to climb out on.
I was out in your neck of the woods last saturday.
Codium lasts almost a year and it is all over the place where you live.
I took this second picture in South Hampton
Localtank008.jpg

Montauk007.jpg

Last edited:

Beaun

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do trolling and seining in the bays and harbors (Lake Montauk, Napeague harbor...) for data collection and long term monitoring of the species diversity and abundance. Lake Montauk has an excessive amount of Codium and ahardhiella, which is why I am interested in growing it (or at least keeping it) in my tank. I'm glad I finally found people with the same interests as myself.

I'm approaching it as an experiment to see what I can get to work and what just wont work. Thanks for this information, its really helpful. I knew that the water temp shouldnt be a problem, keeping the water at around 70 should take no effort.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
We do trolling and seining in the bays and harbors (Lake Montauk, Napeague harbor...) for data collection and long term monitoring of the species diversity and abundance. Lake Montauk has an excessive amount of Codium and ahardhiella, which is why I am interested in growing it (or at least keeping it) in my tank. I'm glad I finally found people with the same interests as myself.

I'm approaching it as an experiment to see what I can get to work and what just wont work. Thanks for this information, its really helpful. I knew that the water temp shouldnt be a problem, keeping the water at around 70 should take no effort.

Is this data available publicly? I'd love to read through it.

You should come collecting with us next summer.

Beaun

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally got hired full time (after a year of part time/seasonal full time in summer) So I was confident enough to go online and buy equipment to set up the tank. I am planning on going to Country Critters on Saturday to buy a 65 gallon reef ready with stand. I purchased my light fixture (36" sundial) and skimmer (AquaC Urchin Pro) from Marine Depot, and my sump (Eshopps Reef Sump), plumbing, and other essentials (pump, overflow kit...) from DrFosterSmith. All in all I will be in about $1100 dollars, just over my expected budget. I will hopefully be putting water in it by the end of next week (Jannuary 28th-30th), and getting sand and rocks from Napeague Harbor and Montauk Point respectively. I was down at Montauk Point last weekend doing some birding at low tide and was noticing how great the rocks down there look, tons of life even in the winter. It should be a good start to the cycling process, not sure how it long it will take, being my first time doing something like this. But I am hoping to have my Northern Puffer in the tank in a few weeks following that.

My one question is do you think I should get reef salt and make my own water, or should I get local water and use that instead. My brother has an RO filter that I can get 30 gallons daily from, or I can just run to the bay or ocean and get it right from the source. Thoughts?

Beaun

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my thought, but I was also worried about possible pollution, but the water is usually clean. Maybe I would just have to be warry after a large rain storm. I might have to get a cooler or those large water cooler jugs to transport water. I need to get like 80 gallons!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: