chvynva916

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason to have coralline is mostly for aesthetics. (1) It looks good itself (opinion, of course) and (2) it can outcompete less aesthetic algae (again, opinion).

It's also worth noting that even to the extent that corraline doesn't improve the tank's health, it is at least a sign of the tank's health. Corraline grows best with little/no phosphates and nitrates and under the same mg/pH/alk/ca conditions as stony corals. Thus if your corraline is thriving, you're probably maintaining good tank conditions.

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Does it not supply a source of food? I see my emerald crabs picking at it all the time.

I was once told that coraline growth would offset the growth of nuisance algae. I think they were confusing coraline w/ macro tho...

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
They other major point is it stops algea from growing on rocks. If you have a rock full of coraline, hair algae and other slime/turf algae wont grow on it.

The stuff I have, i can strape it off the glass with my fingernail. so it can be removed simply.

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
They other major point is it stops algea from growing on rocks. If you have a rock full of coraline, hair algae and other slime/turf algae wont grow on it.

The stuff I have, i can strape it off the glass with my fingernail. so it can be removed simply.

Doesn't slow down hydroids, bryopsis, or cyano one bit tho :irked:

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
From observation, corals are more likely to colonize on coraline algae covered area than other macro algae, such as hair aglae, covered area or area area that are barren(hard to say for sure about this.) I feell that it's kind of preparing the surface with proper texture and mineral requirements for some coral to growth on.

Beaun

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main purpose of coraline algae, as far as I have heard and been told, in your reef tank is for biological filtration. You want coraline to grow to help filter your tank. The only places you may want to remove it would be on the side and front glass (obviously the front, maybe the sides). It promotes health in your tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: