BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
The Governor, in a budgeting cut back issue, is seeking to slash the aquariums, botanical gardens and zoo's by as much as 55% this year and 100% next year. As you are aware this will have major impacts in every aquarium society and for every person throughout New York. Please support this petition and fight the devestating cuts. It is unknown as to why the aquariums, botanical gardens and zoo's will have such deep cuts when other entities will receive 20% cuts. All we are asking for is fairness for all.

Please have your family, friends and club members complete and submit these forms as requested. The cut off date is February 1, 2009 so please act now!!!!

Print out the form have anybody you know sign it and then you fax back to Cynthia Reich at 718-265-2686 before February 1, 2009!!!!!!!!

You can dowload the form here -->

http://www.bderen.com/WCS-Petition.pdf

Thank you and god bless.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
It is unknown as to why the aquariums, botanical gardens and zoo's will have such deep cuts when other entities will receive 20% cuts. All we are asking for is fairness for all.

:confused: What are these "other entities"? I may find those more important than zoos, botanical gardens and aquariums.

From Fox News

Excerpt: Jeffery Gordon, a spokesman for the state's budget division, said Paterson will focus the state's more than $200 million in environmental funding on "critical capital initiatives that provide ongoing environmental benefits" rather than annual operating support to organizations.

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
:confused: What are these "other entities"? I may find those more important than zoos, botanical gardens and aquariums.

From Fox News

Excerpt: Jeffery Gordon, a spokesman for the state's budget division, said Paterson will focus the state's more than $200 million in environmental funding on "critical capital initiatives that provide ongoing environmental benefits" rather than annual operating support to organizations.

Pretty much everybody else. FD, PD, libraries, parks, museums, etc etc. Some are more important then zoos of course but to eliminate funding completely is unreasonable.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Ah! I'll take those over "living museums" any day. At least the living museums can obtain funding privately, although the article I linked suggested that is also becoming increasingly difficult. Police and Fire departments don't have that option :(

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Police and Fire departments don't have that option :(

I know of the first receiving private donations, not sure of the latter but I understand not everyone has to agree with keeping zoos and aquariums afloat during this economic downturn. My boss didn't sign the petition and I certainly understand his point of view. I know I did my part, that is all that counts.

danny

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
state budget cuts

I work at a hospital in Manhattan & every year since 1982 hospitals have their revenue cut every year by NYS, maybe it is time for the state to cut their staffs & make their employees pay for health insurance as I do every year (the tax payer) & not receive a pay increase which I have been told will not be in the 2009 budget. Instead of cutting funding to the Aquariums & Zoos maybe Mr. Patterson & his cronies did not need to go on the tax payer funded trips. Go to motor vehicles 7 out of 10 people just stand around & do nothing. I will definitely get some signatures @ work.
This morning Westchester medical center anounced that they will close their nursing home & lay off 400 workers. What these morons do not realize is these cuts will also affect state taxes because there will be less people working. In the next few weeks their will be more hospital closings.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: