ferrybongo13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok acclimating my new 5 peperment shrimp and copper band butterfly which arrived at 10:30 this morning from saltwaterfish.com.....hope to solve my Aptasia problem the natural way...will let everyone know what happens...maybe try to get a few pics of them getting eaten!!!Bye Bye Aptasia...I hope.

Marteen

Meow?
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Actually from what I've read they do fine in high flow once they get adjusted. You just need to make sure you place them correctly in your tank. Berghai.net has a wealth of information about them, very interesting little critters.

Chapz

Chap Attack Begin!!!!!
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Good luck. I use to have tons of Aiptasia from live rock i purchased.
Then the 2 peppermint shrimps I had were gone.
Not sure what ate them since my fish were all small during that time.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Bristletail Filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus) are the best aptaisia eaters IMO and they are hardy. No need to take a chance on a butterflyfish with a poor track record or counting on peppermint shrimp or nudibranchs. Once the FF get settled in the aptaisia doesn't have a chance. Just my .02

Marteen

Meow?
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
But if you dose too much kalk you can really mess up your Ph. Joe's Juice doesn't effect Ph so you can kill as many Apastasia as you want. Of course you can always just superglue them using a gel type superglue. It cures underwater.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
From the Patent Application:

A method of killing Aiptasia and Majana anemones in aquariums comprises filling a dispenser with an anemone killing mixture, comprising purified water, and effective amounts of calcium hydroxide and non-iodized salt, placing a tip of the filled dispenser near a mouth of an anemone and dispensing a small amount of the mixture such that it is consumed by the anemone. An anemone killing mixture comprises effective amounts of calcium hydroxide and non-iodized salt dissolved into and mixed in boiling purified water.

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Joe's Juice is a proprietary formula so unless your the guy who makes it you don't know what it is. I've used it it doesn't raise your Ph values so it's unlikely to be kalk.
From the Patent Application:
A method of killing Aiptasia and Majana anemones in aquariums comprises filling a dispenser with an anemone killing mixture, comprising purified water, and effective amounts of calcium hydroxide and non-iodized salt, placing a tip of the filled dispenser near a mouth of an anemone and dispensing a small amount of the mixture such that it is consumed by the anemone. An anemone killing mixture comprises effective amounts of calcium hydroxide and non-iodized salt dissolved into and mixed in boiling purified water.

Calcium hydroxide = kalk

It definitely acts like kalk you just don't get that much to raise your ph all that much. It does even have a warning on the bottle not to do so many at one time.

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Just want to tag along here. I put in rock from a fellow member that has aiptasia one mother colony and two small offspring.

If you have a mild infestation wouldn't it just be effective to take out the rock, and torch the anemones with a bbq stick (on advancedaquarist.com)? How about just ripping the ones you see out as well?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: