• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

DaddyReefer13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Hi All,
I'm trying to layout a 90Gallon build I will be doing in the next month and i'm determined not to run a chiller. Can anyone assist me or point me in the right direction as to whether i can use computer fans to cool off a couple of 250W halides. I was looking to have 4 X 120mm fans (2 on each side) on the canopy.

Any links or product recommendations will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
computer fans work great. if you use 12V fans you need to splice a 12V AC adaptor and you are set.

I use the Panasonic "Panaflo" 120mm fans, very quiet with a good CFM. When looking at the fans look at the CFM vs. dB (noise) rating. You want to shoot for the highest CFM with a dB rating that is pretty low. Alot of times the fans that are advertised as "quiet" just run at a lower RPM and don't have alot of CFM.

whether or not you will need a chiller i cannot answer. My wife likes to keep the apt so warm that even with fans i need a chiller...But i have 2x250w on a smaller tank (65g)

Last edited:

oneway

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fans work good, but they will cause more water evaperation. Also I've found that if your canopy is not fully enclosed like the back being closed off it is better to have all the fans blowing into the canopy to bring in as much cooler air as possible the hotter air will be pushed out the back.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I'd suggest fans in the sump blowing on the water and in the hood if you have room. it will evaporate more water but it can cool the tank a few degrees as well. I would keep a chiller inline for backup.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
in my hood i have the fans pushing air out the top. The fresh air comes in through vents in the back.

I did it this way because i don't like the look of the fans in the sides because of the light that pours out of the holes. Also people walking by don't get a blast of hot air in the face. The hot air shoots straight up with no visible holes. :)

Here is an upside down shot

WF_0041.jpg

Last edited:

DaddyReefer13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I was also considering pushing the air up from the top as well since heat does rise.

I will be using 2 Lumen Bright 3s reflectors with 250 watt bulbs and from the things I have read it will be need to be mounted about 20 inches from the tank with the bulb at about 16" from the water.

I have never had metal halides before and I know from the many post I have read that heat can definitely be an issue.

BTW thanks for the input everyone, keep them coming, many of these are seeds to new ideas of my new set up.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Hood fans will generally controll the heat transfer from bulbs to tank, but don't expect no transfer at all after installing them. your temp will still rise up when lights are on. Your gonna have to play with evaporation in the sump or fans blowing directly at the water in the hood to controll heat past that.

Remember to utilize intake air venting and the exhaust flow paths through the hood to cool the bulbs efficiently. Don't put two fans in the hood without setting an area for the air to come in thinking enough will go through all the cracks.

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I use four MassCool fans on my 90 gallon reef, that i bought off of newegg.com. Two blow into the hood and the other two blow the hot air out. I also have a fan on the sump, but that rarely turns on. These fans are cheap and so far reliable.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: