jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Why can certain powerheads be used on a wavemaker but others can't? Try to keep the technical language as lay person friendly as possible. Now if a PH can't be used on a wavemaker, like the earlier koralia's, can they still be set on a timer or controller, to shut down once or twice a day ? I have a third koralia thats currently not being used and I would like to use it but have it shut down at night to give the fish and corals some less flow. Would that be a problem?

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
the rattle from constant shut down and start up may destroy the power head much faster than normal use.

I don't think that's accurate.

AC motors make max power during start up (0 RPM). I think this surge is what wears them. (Most controllable power heads are DC).

Is this correct every one?

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
I agree with killer, it shortens the lifespan of the powerhead/pump.

Ever unplug and then plug in a powerhead? I would say most of the time I hear a loud rattling for a second or two and then it starts running smoothly. I'm sure doing this multiple times for the day would have negative effects.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: