Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Anyone ever known serpent starfish to kill fish?

Reason I ask is because I keep missing fish and I cannot pinpoint the problem. So I was wondering if my 2 monsters are to blame. The fish that go missing are usually the smaller ones that like to sleep in the rocks.

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
starfish will eat small fish. mines it used to happen to me. i would find skeletons

excerpt from http://www.wetwebmedia.com/brittlestars.htm

One species in common use warrants a statutory warning. This is the Green Brittle Star of the genus Ophiarachna. This animal is a predatory fish eater, that does indeed do a spiffy janitorial job when small... but grows quickly, and under darkness of night can/does learn to eat aquarium fishes. This species has been documented to arch up in "sleeping caves" of captive fishes and drop down on unsuspecting meals. If you use this species, keep an eye on it, and a count on your piscine livestock.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
starfish will eat small fish. mines it used to happen to me. i would find skeletons

excerpt from http://www.wetwebmedia.com/brittlestars.htm

One species in common use warrants a statutory warning. This is the Green Brittle Star of the genus Ophiarachna. This animal is a predatory fish eater, that does indeed do a spiffy janitorial job when small... but grows quickly, and under darkness of night can/does learn to eat aquarium fishes. This species has been documented to arch up in "sleeping caves" of captive fishes and drop down on unsuspecting meals. If you use this species, keep an eye on it, and a count on your piscine livestock.

x2..green brittles are more aggressive....I have a red and a grey striped both for over ten years. They are great scavengers and haven't touched a live fish, but I know they will if they are hungry enough ...so I will target feed them...some signs that they are hungry are ...they are out in the daylight with their arms waving in the current or alot of movement around the tank at night...hth

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Ok, that's all I needed to know. They are being transferred to my fowlr.hehehe No little fishie in there.;) Let's see how they'll like the dog face puffer when I replace him sometime in the future...

Salty Dog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
I had a large green serpent that eat a fire goby and a small true percula in my tank. At the time I really didnt think a serpent was dangerous so I bought him. Then I found my clown in half and caught him in the act at night with the goby. I was pissed reached into the tank and pulled him out. Put him into my sump and returned him the next day

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Saw 1 of the 2 out and about this morn.:spin: Reached right in, snatched it up by it's leg, carried it across the room and dumped it into the fowlr.:sgrin:
One down one more to go......

h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another one for against greens

pretty sure mine killed my scott's fairy wrasse and hurt my tomini pretty bad, he's fuged.

dabgood21

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When they grow large they will eat a live fish if the fish makes it easy. They won't hunt for fish but if the opportunity arises and it's hungry it might try. Best way to counter this if you want to leave the starfish in the tank would be to feed it meaty chunks of fresh fish, clam, squid,...whatever.

I keep a sliver of raw fish in my freezer so I can take a small piece for my serpent star once a month, but he's still not too big. It's fun feeding them, watching them grab it and curl up their leg bringing it to their mouth.

They are also very sensitive animals so keeping conditions right for them is important. That might be another reason why its being so aggressive.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: