JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Can anyone walk me through this?

I already did alot of
:google:

But after reading my Kent Kalkwasser product, it has a bunchof confusing directions about mixing it than skimming off top layer, and only using a section of the liquid.

I was wondering if I could just add a cpl teaspoons to top off to keep levels at bay or should I be using a dose system in order to no raise Ph too much. Thanks all

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Yeah you could add a teaspoon of kalk to your top off water. The reason it tells you to skim off the top layer is because it reacts with the CO2 in the air and becomes calcium carbonate, and basically useless. I don't think it'll actually harm the tank if you don't skim off the top layer, it just won't be usefull.

The reason it tells you to not use the bottom layer of the water is because kalk also reacts with phosphates, magnesium, iodine, etc and will bond to it and precipitate out of the water. So if you don't want that stuff to end up in your tank just throw away the last 5 - 10% of the top off bucket when you get there.

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Yeah you could add a teaspoon of kalk to your top off water. The reason it tells you to skim off the top layer is because it reacts with the CO2 in the air and becomes calcium carbonate, and basically useless. I don't think it'll actually harm the tank if you don't skim off the top layer, it just won't be usefull.

The reason it tells you to not use the bottom layer of the water is because kalk also reacts with phosphates, magnesium, iodine, etc and will bond to it and precipitate out of the water. So if you don't want that stuff to end up in your tank just throw away the last 5 - 10% of the top off bucket when you get there.

Ok, so I

1) I dont have an auto top off, so I usually do 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket (approx) 2.5 gall every other day. So I will add roughly one teaspoon to this and mix it up. (Should I wait a certain amount of time?)

2) Skim the top layer off. Any technique to do this?

3) The final layer dont dump in, is this some sort of residue? Sorry for all the questions but never realized it was so complicated

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: