CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I've hear this a few times when people are talking about making water.
Does it really make a difference how fast or slowly you heat temp. or add salt.
Right up front i'm going to say that I have heard alot of things that have sounded rediculous in this hobby, and turned out to be valid.
However this one seems a little off, im my Opinion.

What's Your's????

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
At one point over this past weekend, I read a VERY long thread on Reef Central about salt. One of the questions that came up frequently was about this same topic.

The feeling was that:
1- the full amount of rodi water should be brought to the temp you want to use it at prior to adding the salt mix**
2- the salt should be added in a controlled manner..as in not just dump a huge amount in all at once.

I usually add about 3/4 of the salt mix and then slowly add the rest until I am at the proper salinity without overshooting it.

Some folks had reported the mixture turning cloudy (and not ever getting totally clear again) who added the salt in quickly.
I will say that some salt mixes dissolve faster than others (Tropic Marin is like butta :))

** I have heard many times that you should still wait until the following day to use your newly made SW to be sure that all of the salt mix has melted (therefore not having the ability to sting any of your corals) and of course it should be aerated during that time and the temperature maintained.

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I'm not doubting the above, but in my (little) experience, I have always added the 7/8 the recommended amount, then heated, then honed in on the desired SG. No problems yet (I think).

I'm all ears to improving my technique.

Cr@sh

The Crystal ball Knows ?
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Great advice !

Again,Thanks for your help with knowledge or exp.I've been using instant ocean mostly,or crystal reef and was informed that CR has higher Phosphates.Is there a general brand most favor because of dissolving or Phos issues? Depending on amount of time I have, I mix & change slow or fast ,so long as temp & salinity along with alittle buffer after RO/DI.I "Will Now" listen to your advice after you saved me the reading of all those threads.Regarding temp,salinity,airation & sitting overnight (The right way) instead of raising temp & mix within an hour before change (the wrong way) especialy when my tanks packed as dence as it is.10 gallon with a 5 gallon water change each week if not more. I still have the 90 wave tank for sale and grabbed a 36 corner bow to move everything to.I'll post again on forum (Hopefully in right place ?:duh:) and share my luck with the move. .Thanks for your help Kathy:backtotop

Last edited:

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
im going to be honest here..i tried all ways to mix salt either heating it up slowly .waiting till the next day but i got lazy and for the past 5 months i make the water add the salt mix it.wait a half an hour while im cleaning socks and skimmer.then i pour it in.i havent noticed any difference in quality of mix or hurting any corals.

Cr@sh

The Crystal ball Knows ?
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Same here but now I'll look at weather the corals really distress in any way cause usually they open more after and even in past stimulated some corals and limpids to jerk off in water ,funny, but they released seamen clouds.

Last edited:

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I make ro 5 gallons or so add 11 cups of tropic marin. pro reef Add power head. Make another 15 gallons of RO into the existing 5 gal. Check Salinity. When thats done I boil 3.5 gallons and dump it back in , viola 79 degrees.
Siphon 20 out of my tank, and dump in.
everything seems ok.

Marteen

Meow?
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I just throw heater and a power head in my bucket of RO/DI add salt and let it sit overnight. In the morning it's the perfect temp and salinity, I have to hone it in a little though depending on how much evap I got. I usually end up adding a little extra water.

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I can tell you that I have personal experience with adding salt to a bucket of water, mixing quickly and letting it sit overnight (never heated) to finish dissolving, and woke up the next day with cloudy water that I could not clear up no matter what I did. I even remember posting a thread on it and having several discussions with Kathy about it. I usually throw the PH and heather into the bucket and add about 5/6 of the salt, and let it mix and dissolve before adding the last bit to get up to the right salinity.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: