Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
1. How long was the eggcrate in the tank before it caused your outbreak?
2. How soon after you removed the eggcrate, did the cyano recede? Did you take any other steps to combat the cyano?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Huh?
Not sure why the OP on that thread - who has ALL new stuff - has decided to single out the eggcrate as the cause for algae :spin:

Where did you have the eggcrate placed in your system?
Could the act of moving the eggcrate dislodged any cyano you might have had?

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Im sure that the degrading plastic might have some adverse affects but too much other crap goes into algae problems to be able to say "hey my eggcrate is doing it the bastard!" Plus, cyano can have weekly/monthly swings. one week its alot the next its gone or receding.

And its just not phosphates that cause algae problems, so don't say it must be the Po4 causing it, or its gotto be Po4 leaching.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Im sure that the degrading plastic might have some adverse affects but too much other crap goes into algae problems to be able to say "hey my eggcrate is doing it the bastard!"

With this statement, are you referring to strictly eggcrate (polystyrene or acrylic), or are you including all the plastic materials that may be present in a tank at any point in time. What if the tank is acrylic? Would that be a contributing factor.

p.s. Polystyrene does not biodegrade

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I thought it was interesting that in the last post on that thread, the reefer changed her eggcrate from white to black and the issue stopped?
Thinking maybe she just couldn't see the algae as well on there? :splitspin

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
I have to say that empirically speaking - I have found this to be true and the main reason why I don't use it for our prop system - whether this article is true or not, I am unsure, but from experience, I have found it to be an algae magnet and close to impossible to keep clean.

I use perforated PVC and don't have these issues. Just my experience - not chemical knowledge

House

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Coraline is known to grow on powerheads/plastic before it grows on glass and live rock. Perhaps, its the same with cyano. If so, it doesn't mean the eggcrate caused the cyano, it simply provided the best home at the time.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Coraline is known to grow on powerheads/plastic before it grows on glass and live rock. Perhaps, its the same with cyano. If so, it doesn't mean the eggcrate caused the cyano, it simply provided the best home at the time.

Have to agree with you Dean. I had eggcrate in my reef tanks long before I ever saw any cyano.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: