greggnyce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I am starting to research purchasing a 120gl wide to put i the wall of my home. I wanted to know some of the places you all have purchased your tanks. Are some better than others? I was thinking about going with low iron glass but wanted to hear what others experiences were.

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I personally don't think rimless would add anything to an inwall setup. Are you going to have a cover to keep fish from jumping? A euro-brace may help eliminate splash.

I've never had a tank that big (or an inwall), so this is all speculation...

greggnyce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I figured it kind of would be after looking at some setups. I could just hide the rim in the wall. Thank you. I was looking at the oceanic ultimate but the glass cages starfire is much cheaper.

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Greg, whats the plan? Closed loop? Do you care if the tank has a large center over flow or do you want corner over flows?

I would sport for the starfire. I think it's worth the extra $$. Obviously you would only need the front to be starfire (unless you're doing a corner setup).

greggnyce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Good point about the garauntee. I am getting a vortech so no closed loop. I am not sure if I am going to get dual corner overflows or build my own overflow that will take up less space. My plan will be to have two islands with alot of space for fish in between. So I think either the corner overflows or the center might get in the way. I definaltey want to get the front starfire after seeing it in person I think it is worth it. My 75gl oceanic has a corner over flow and it takes up alot of space. I was thinking of a long thin overflow box that is almost the length of the tank and maybe have the returns come over the back over the back of the tank.

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
the guarantee from oceanic and aga is only good so long as you use one of their stands as far as i know. if you are putting it in your wall then odds are you arent going to be covered...things could have changed but that is what i was told last time i looked into this stuff...

Marteen

Meow?
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've heard bad things about glass cages I hear they have horrible customer support and their aquariums are hit or miss. I've heard of people getting tanks where the edges were not even aligned properly or with chips in them that they refused to repair. I'd spend a little extra and go with someone else.

Here are some threads about people who have had bad experiences with them, both with ordering and failing aquariums.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=126515

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=155812

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1424822

If you look around the various message boards you'll find more. I just have to say you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
the guarantee from oceanic and aga is only good so long as you use one of their stands as far as i know. .

I know that's the deal for Tech. Is it the same for the Ultimate too?

It's worth a phone call. When you call Oceanic, don't leave a message. They will never get back to you. The operator can get someone on the phone if you are persistent (don't ask how I know this. UGH.)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: