Wagners55

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running a oceanic 46 gallon bowfront with Eheim canister, CPR backpack skimmer and 11kActinic 150x2 MH Lighting system.

With a move to Boston in 6 weeks im debating:
1. How to move the thing.
2. is it worth it to purchase a better set up and have it waiting in boston...sell my set up here in ny for cheap. ( plan to continue operating the tank for many years as the rewards are in long term growth of the internal envirenment)

Currently Im looking into sump based aquariums but wonder if they are truly worth the expense over my regular set up. My set up seems pretty weak since a overflowbox/ sump system will filter and skim the tanks water capacity many times more than my current set up. And the units look much more concealed...there isnt all this crap and wires hanging off the back of the tank.

Current issues are:
Powerheads are garbage and fail every other month
the modified canopy with super light is evaporating nearly 2 gallons of water a day which changes all the internal chemistry of the tank. Refilling it with nyc water lends to algea growth etc..but im in the process of buying a RODI filter which im told will fix this problem.

My goals are to create the ideal healthy envirenment for the fish for long term...the Oceanic set up is a bit cheesey with partical board and plastic canopy/base..seamed joints etc. Im looking at one of these reef ready 4FishTank.com - Aquariums - Fish Tanks - reef tanks - fish aquarium - New York - Aqua Vim - aquavim - seamless curved glass -...

But the end question is ...is a sump system the must have for the reef enthusiest ..and is it worth the 2000 bucks i will have to spend to upgrade?

Wagners55

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL i know K

No one was answering and im impatient...so I rephrased it and reworded it ......thank you for viewing my post and responding. Was my theory that a sump set up is so far better than a hang on type that its worth dropping the cash on?

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Could you drill your 46G and add a sump to your current tank/stand?

You can get a nice tank, stand, sump combo for well under $2k. Is the seamless tank worth that much to you?

I don't like seamless tanks. The bends distort the view in a way that makes me nauseous :splitspin

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: