hijinks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have an outer orbit with 2 actinic/daylight bulds and a 150 MH

My MH is on for 4 hours and right now the actinic is on for 8.. what are people's thoughts on turning the actinic off while thr MH is on

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I think thats just a matter of visual preference. However, if everything is growing well, why change it? (If its not broken, dont fix it) Are you just trying to save money or was there a reason you were thinking of this?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
You can go either way. Whatever you find more pleasing to the eye is what is best. Best to have them overlap at the beginning and end of the day

Why do you only run the MH's for 4 hours?

Orca1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Even though I'm new to the whole reef scene, I feel that I might be able to help out in this situation. I actually work for Con Ed and my primary job function is looking into high electric/gas bills.

How many watts are your actinics? If your MH is on for a total of 4 hours per day @ 150w, it's a total if 18k watts per every 30 days. That would add up to 18kwhrs per month or approximately $5.00 per month (give or take).

Orca1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
MikeyZO.......you're looking at 2 kwhrs per day or 60 kwhrs per month. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $13.00-$15.00 per month or .43-.50 cents per day for your 2 MH's alone.

hijinks..........if your actinic 96w bulbs X 2 for 8 hours per day you're looking at 46.08 kwhrs per month or roughly $10.00-$12.00 per month. 1/2 of that if you're going to reduce it to 4 hours per day.

Of course these are rough estimates.

The formula is pretty easy. Watts X hours used per day / 1000 equals your Kwhr usage per day. Figure the average month is 30 days multiplied by the price per kwhr (including delivery costs) and you get a neighborhood dollar amount per month. The same formula can be applied to your household lighting.

Hope this helps............Eric.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: