fripclaksid

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's a 155 Bow front tank with a wet dry there is a blue hippo tang (5inches), 1 tomato clown (3 inches), 1 foxface (5 inches), 1 Queen Angel (4 inches) and the last fish I actually do not know the name of pic link is below. Anyway I tested the water and 3 days ago it came back the highest possible ppm. 3 Days ago I did a water change (10%), it didn't do anything. Two days ago I did a water change for (20%), it didn't do anything. So yesterday I did a 50% water change it still hasnt done anything to the levels!!! what can it be? I haven't tested the tap water yet but seeing as it's NYC manhattan I think most likely not... but I will test the tap water. Besides that what do you guys think>?

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
No nitrates in tap, I thought phosphates was the problem with tap water???
You know what I'm gonna say Natureef denitrifier with the phosphate option works for me..
You can stuff as many fish as humanely possible with a Natureef,,,lol... But true..

Last edited:

Tangs Rule

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Are you using bio balls in your wet/dry? I removed mine due to high nitrates and it brought the nitrates down by .50 ppm. If you do decide to remove them, make sure you do it in stages, about 4 or 5 days apart.

Marteen

Meow?
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If you are going to use bioballs you need to clean them regularly. With every water change take your bioballs out and give them a good swirl in your old tank water to get all the detrius that has become stuck in them out. Then put them back in your wet/dry filter. Try to keep them in water as much as you can, this will help to keep your nitrates and nitrites down and prevent your bioballs from becoming little death traps.

Tangs Rule

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
All the live rock I have is rubble and it seems to trap a lot less of the uneaten food. I can't say exactly why it worked, but I have done nothing different other than remove my bio-balls and add live rock rubble and it helped my nitrates signifcantly. I posted the same type of thread here and many members told me to get rid of the bio balls and use live rock instead. From my experience, they were 100% right.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Frip, simply put your filtration sucks. You need a better way to export wastes. A good skimmer would help a ton. If you keep up with large frequent water changes you should see your nitrate levels come down.
Don't waste your time messing with your bioballs. They do not cause nitrates anymore than live rock does. That is a myth that I here regurgated here all the time...... Although you don't need the minimal surface area of plastic balls to house bacteria to keep your tank thriving. 50lbs of rock + sand is enough surface area for nitryfing bacteria.

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
50lbs of rock + sand is enough surface area for nitryfing bacteria.

50 lbs of LR and a little LS in a 155 with some large fish is enough? Are you kidding me? I just set up a friends tank that was ~180 and had 100 lbs of LR + a good deal of LS and a good skimmer, with less/smaller fish than this guy and he still had ammonia and nitrite problems. They didn't go away until he upped his LR amount by another 100 lbs.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Kill I am not kidding you. Something doesn't sound right about your friends tank. 100lbs is a very open aquascape but it should have been enough. Just curious how old his tank was and what type of rock?

I am not disagreeing with you just would like more info. I also feel 50lbs + sand is too little for looks but IMO it is enough for the nitrogen cycle to take place(assuming a bunch of big fish aren't added at once). I had 80lbs + 25 fish in a 120gal with no problems so I am using that experience as a crutch.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: