bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
looks like a sediment filter and a water softener. Would they remember to change the filter when it's clogged? Or would they have a service agreement (with you) to do all the work?

B

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
My old place I had a filter system installed from GE. I was very satisfied with the thing. Basically it was a giant RODI unit. The filter was divided into several sections. Showers etc whent through the sediment filters wher water thet comes through faucets in the kitchen would pass through the RODI. Garden faucets would not pass through the filter at all. As for the looks - it looks like a large RODI unit for our reef tanks. Very easy to change filters etc.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
jhale said:
hey all,

does anyone have experience with water filters for the entire house.

this company has one on sale, it's not RO/DI it's something else.

equinox whole house filtration

this is not for my tank it's for my parents house.

thanks for any advice or info.
cough cough ,,i need robituson ,,(if i spelled it right).
anyone looking for a plumber ,,,lol

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
filtering thehouse is great ,,the only thing ,If the water is too dirty ,it will clog up the filter pretty qiuck ,so when installing ,make sure they alway put a bypass on the filter ,just in case

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I have well water that is very high in alkalinity near 18DKH

I have two GE whole house filter (lowes, HD)one with a sediment filter one with carbon before a water boss water softner.
depending on use I cahnge the sediment and carbon filters every 3 months and a salt to water softner every 2 weeks.
before you go crazy htest te water you might get away with the GE whole house filters. cost wise about 125.00 for the filters and time to install them.
let me know I'll give you a hand installing.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
DEEPWATER said:
cough cough ,,i need robituson ,,(if i spelled it right).
anyone looking for a plumber ,,,lol

hehe, I already told them I know a nice Jewish plumber, but they live out in scarsdale, so you better hope gas prices are lower when ever they get this, it's like a 40 mile round trip.

I'm out there enough so I could service the filter, but the main chambers filter is supposed to last about five years and the pre-filters are supposedly good for a year.

I know this is not the same as ro/di but do you think it will produce around the same quality of water. I wonder if I called the company and asked them what the TDS of the water coming out was if they would be able to tell me.

It looks like it's big enough to do the job.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
DEEPWATER said:
Is that a reserve tank they come with ?

no that's the filter chamber, there are four stages and 45 pounds of media in there! :bigeyes2:

go back and look at the description, scroll down the page, there's a little diagram of the insides.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
ah ,,i see ,,,i dont know what the tds meassure when it comes out ,,but in do time the tds will raise ,,do to lots of other activity go around the house ,,,(showers ,toilets,sink,and so on ,,)
so i would say it wil be good for while maybe not 0 ,,,and after that TDS will start going up

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
my mom today was debating about the water softner from kenwood, it's on sale at sears for 400 dollars, but anywhoo i told her about carbonic hardness and probably softener is to lower the DKH, is that correct? i have no idea how this stuff works.

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
jhale said:
thanks Frank.

which tests should I run on the water?
can I use my reef tests?
definitly check for alkalinity,that will tell you if you need a softner, when you boil water do you get a lime residue in the pot?
I would test for PH, and phospate.
is it city water or a well? if city no need to check for bacteria. most of those elborate filter systems are for well water users that have sulfur and high bacteria some even need a UV sterilizer.

if you want RO for drinking water an under sink unit would be fine. no need to use RO for shower, toilet and such.

whole house cartigages should be more than enough

JMHO :)

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
spykes said:
my mom today was debating about the water softner from kenwood, it's on sale at sears for 400 dollars, but anywhoo i told her about carbonic hardness and probably softener is to lower the DKH, is that correct? i have no idea how this stuff works.
I have a water bosss I bought from HD and installed myself and it works real well! I have no expierence with kenmore so I cant comment. for the most part if you have City water a softner is usually not needed.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
this is for city water.

I'll have to remember to bring my test kits next time I visit my mom.

I should ask them about an RO unit for under the sink, they buy a ton of bottled water all the time.

I'd have to drill through the marble counter to put one of those ro taps in though, that's no fun. I would not want to crack that countertop.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: