Cr@sh

The Crystal ball Knows ?
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I picked up a bucket of instant ocean on a clearance sale and I might be paying for it now . I mixed the same way I always do only to find it's not going clear like I'm use to.I herd a rumor a while back about a bad batch of instant ocean was causing problems for reef owners.I only listen to facts and what I see with my own eyes and there's wrong when even overnight it's still cloudy with a light haze.Can anyone verify to the rumor being true or not .I brought to temp and salinity along with buffing to 8.2 and just can't bring myself to take a chance until I buy new salt tomorrow and see if it's just me.I've mixed "MANY" bottle's of water and "Never" felt this gut feeling saying ....."Don't use this" ..... has anyone have an experience like this ?

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have had experience with mixing salt into the water very quickly (no temp increase or powerhead added, just a quick stir) and then let it sit overnight to dissolve and came back the next day to find it very cloudy. No matter what I tried I couldnt clear it up (mid you this was TM Pro Reef, not I/O) And I know the salt itself wasnt bad cuz it was fine when I mixed it with a PH and temp increase right away. So it doesnt necessarily mean its a bad batch. Try mixing up another bucket full and see what happens. Try also to mix it up slowly, dont just dump the salt in all at once.

Cr@sh

The Crystal ball Knows ?
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
cool, I will mix another bottle just to see. I've been using instant ocean for a while and even with crystal reef ...it cleared alittle longer but cleared up ! Ah.....Thats one thing I did different last night was use a measuring cup instead of pouring slowly into the bottle to bring up salinity...I just dumped two cups and shook like always but now ya might have hit something . I'll mix next batch slower ,Thanks brother .right under my nose but you pointed out the cause maybe !

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I had that happen when I did my last upgrade and was mixing a lot of SW..it just wouldn't clear, though I know I'd added the salt too quickly :(
I didn't end up using it, wasn't willing to bet my reef on it even tho all of the numbers tested ok on it.

I have read recently that people (ones whose opinions I do respect) say it's ok to use it...this was from the huge salt thread on RC.

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Yeah I didn't use it either Kathy... in fact I think you were the one I was talking to about the water when it happened. But every batch thereafter has been good :)

Anyway, that's why I suggested you mix another bucket and see what happens Cr@sh. Let us know.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Yeah I didn't use it either Kathy... in fact I think you were the one I was talking to about the water when it happened. But every batch thereafter has been good :)

Anyway, that's why I suggested you mix another bucket and see what happens Cr@sh. Let us know.

Could have been Mikey..we've talked about so much stuff!! ;)

Crash...I think when folks were having the issue with the bad batch of IO - the parameters didn't measure up..did you try testing them on the cloudy batch?

Cr@sh

The Crystal ball Knows ?
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I only tested PH and salinity but I feel the same as you with not risking my precious crew of entertainment.I'm treating this new dendro like a little baby with luring him out and eating .I'm mixing a bottle as we speak Thanks guys .it just makes me feel better not just listening to myself.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: