NaCl H20

(not the vendor)
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm running low on ESV 2-part. Anyone use ESV's B-Ionic System and have you switched to the newer 'Calcium Bicarbonate System' vs the original 'Calcium Buffer System'? Any opinions? Benefits?
According to ESV:
B-Ionic Calcium Bicarbonate System is a specially formulated, lower pH version of our original B-Ionic Calcium Buffer System. Some marine aquaria can naturally run at high pH levels (peaking over 8.45 pH) if bright lighting, algae scrubbers, or extended photo periods drive carbon dioxide uptake from photosynthesis faster than carbon dioxide replenishment from the atmosphere and heterotropic respiration. In these systems, it may be counter-productive to use calcium and alkalinity supplements which put further demand on available carbon dioxide, resulting in higher pH. Since high pH can limit calcium and carbonate alkalinity levels, these aquaria are best suited for lower pH calcium and alkalinity supplementation methods, such as calcium carbonate reactors which deliver calcium bicarbonate to the aquarium via dissolution from carbon dioxide injections.

Our new B-Ionic Calcium Bicarbonate System also delivers calcium bicarbonate, but without the high initial cost of a calcium carbonate reactor, and without the fear of nutrient contamination from calcium carbonate media. B-Ionic Calcium Bicarbonate System employs all of the benefits formulated into our original B-Ionic Calcium Buffer System, except alkalinity is predominantly in the form of bicarbonate, rather than carbonate. When bicarbonate ions are used by calcifying organisms to form their skeletons, carbon dioxide is released as a by-product, thereby lowering the system's demand from other sources. Since B-Ionic Calcium Bicarbonate System does not raise pH, it need not be added daily, depending on the calcium and alkalinity demand on the aquarium. Since calcium and alkalinity are in separate components, these parameters can be adjusted independently compared to calcium carbonate reactors which deliver calcium and alkalinity at a fixed ratio. Automated dosing systems are also available.

For aquaria which tend to run at lower pH levels, our original B-Ionic Calcium Buffer System would perform the best. B-Ionic Calcium Bicarbonate System is one quarter the strength of our original formula because bicarbonate salts are less soluble than carbonate salts. We've addressed this by lowering the price and offering a highly concentrated (partially powdered) version in addition to the ready-to-use form. The aquarist simply fills the concentrate bottles with RO and/or DI water. This reduces shipping costs and makes this product competitive with the purer calcium carbonate reactor media.

NaCl H20

(not the vendor)
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Randy
I don't believe so, but I don't honestly know off hand. I just know that all tanks go through the ph swing from day vs night light cycles. So it doesn't sound like that's enough of a reason to switch then I'd stay with the more potent original formula. Thanks.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: