Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad you guys are OK alot of people don't realize the consequences of dealing with marine life. KUDOS ! I never seen anyone post a thread telling the possible dangers in keeping these exotic specimens. Me being a Certified Diver have experienced alot of CLOSE CALLS ! But that was in the Open Water never thought I had to worry about my Living Room :eek: !

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad you guys are OK alot of people don't realize the consequences of dealing with marine life. KUDOS ! I never seen anyone post a thread telling the possible dangers in keeping these exotic specimens. Me being a Certified Diver have experienced alot of CLOSE CALLS ! But that was in the Open Water never thought I had to worry about my Living Room :eek: !

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had a similar experience a few years ago breaking down an aquarium that had zoos growing up back glass.both my brother and i were very sick,we inhaled whatever zoos were spraying inadvertently.
same symptons as described above
mike

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
I have a thread about this on here and rc as well.. Was in the hospital over a week, 105 fever, third day lungs filled w fluids, shakes, it was nuts...
I now use gloves wn I frag but still go barehanded in tank.. Was one of the worst experiences of my life.. I've also had a shroom squirt me in the idea multiple times... Out of the 6 times I was had to go to the eye doc as well.. Lost vision a few days but all good now..
Def crazy stuff.. I'm much more careful now...
The scary part... When I got sick I was only moving rocks around, not fragging.. You never know..

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
I had cellulitus from a very small (almost healed cut)that took 700mg of antibiotics twice a day for almost 2weeks to heal it.for anyone that doesn't know what cellulitus is Google it..trust me its excruciatingly painful!!!my hands never enter my tank without gloves

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
As a noob I'm really glad you guys posted this! What type of gloves are we talking about? i.e. How thick, and if I'm moving rocks and coral to a new tank, should I wear eye protection?

The shoulder length gloves tend to be very thick. If you are dealing with rock with bristle worms in them, those should be used., or at least those Playtex ones.
If you are setting up a tank with new rock, you're ok with the standard latex (powder free!) or nitrile ones. A not overly tight rubber-band around the wrist is helpful.

Eye protection - yes..and don't keep your mouth open either...most especially if you are dealing with any zoas or palys!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: