Kaz289

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I too got stung by something last week while aquascaping. I still have no idea what it was I may have just got poked by a sharp edge of one of my rocks. But when I was done I noticed a small round puncture mark on my forearm which was bleeding. I washed it in cold water and rubbed on Benadryl cream. Ten minutes later my arm was red and blotchy from my wrist to past my elbow and it felt itchy. I took a benadryl tablet just in case. I dont know if it was me freaking myself out or the sting itself but my heart rate was definitly up and I was feeling sick to my stomach. Thankfully It passed and when I woke up the next day the rash was gone. The small puncture wound is still visible but it has healed over. Just figured I'd add my story, I am wearing gloves past my elbows for now on. I don't want to be the guy who died aquascaping, because my wife is always telling me to leave it alone it looks fine, If i got killed she would have the ultimate I told u so.

nminunni

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
great info. Many people don't realize that it doesnt take direct contact to infect you. Also, many people just starting out w corals think anemone's and lionfish are the only ones with toxins I always wear gloves but water does get inside of them.

Glad you made this a sticky!

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
gloves

for aquascaping, the coral life gloves work well. for fragging or light rearranging the corals, the powderfree latex, or nitrite if you are allergic to latex, gives a better "feel". use rubber band around the cuff to prevent the water from entering. but don't use too tight of a rubber band, it may cut off your circulation. remove the rubber band and take a rest every 15 min. or so.

i order crates of powderfree latex gloves for my office all the time. if there's a show of interest, i can order extra next time. for those who are allergic to latex, i can get nitrite also. i have to check how much per box 'cause the office manager does the ordering. if i have to guess.... it's probably around $5-6 for a box of 100 for latex, a little more for nitrite, shipped to my office in flushing, queens or paramus, nj.

i will not have time to answer individual pm's on this subject. so please post questions here. if there's a show of interest, i will see if i can set up the "group buy" thread. will have to read the rules first.
these gloves (comes in s-m-l-xl sizes) are non-sterile medical exam gloves i use every day in my office. there are tons of different models/brands but there will be only two choices, latex or nitrite.
they will be at cost and pick up from either one of my offices (during office hours, 11-6 mon., wed., sat. in flushing, ny / thurs. in paramus, nj), no delivery. the big boxes are pretty darn heavy.

ok folks if you are interested, post 'em here and count 'em out one after another.

for moderators, any advice, pm's on this subject are welcome.

thanks, tom

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Over the weekend, another user and I were able to score some palys and zoanthids. I have about 10 Variations of Zoas in the tank. So we went about placing them in the tank. Both he and I experienced similar if not the same symptoms. We had NO open wounds in our hands. This was the timeline:

15 Minutes: Sneezing profusely
Approx. an Hour later: 101 Fever (mild)
An hour into sleep: Episodes of extreme heat and chills
Rest of the night: Extreme amount of soreness and coughing (made it hard to breathe properly)

not sure if this is related but for some reason everytime i touch my tank (especially lately i sneeze and cough alot my eyes itch and i get other allergy reactions. this is the first time this has ever happenned to me never been allergic to anything in my life. it could be the chemicals i add in the tank, i dont know but did you guys add all the chemicals we use to the list

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I got palytoxin in my eye a few weeks ago and even after immediately rinsing for 15-20 minutes, my eye got very red and hurt ALOT an hour later. Everything salty tasted like eating aluminum foil. It wasn't very pleasant... Wear gloves and safety glasses when working with paly/zoa's.

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
This needs a serious bump... I have read it before and ignored it. please don't. An MR member was taken to the ER late last night with palytoxin poisoning with symptoms similar to the OP on this post but worse.. thankfully they were released from the hospital tonight. 2 other people also experienced more mild symptoms from being in the same room, which had to do with fragging zoas. There will be more info available in the future about this particular indicent but for now , Please don't think this can't happen to you... even if you are like me and have been doing it for a long time with no problems.

Last edited:

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
This needs a serious bump... I have read it before and ignored it. please don't. An MR member was taken to the ER late last night with palytoxin poisoning with symptoms similar to the OP on this post but worse.. thankfully they were released from the hospital tonight. 2 other people also experienced more mild symptoms from being in the same room, which had to do with fragging zoas. There will be more info available in the future about this particular indicent but for now , Please don't think this can't happen to you... even if you are like me and have been doing it for a long time with no problems.

James,
My brother told me about this earlier today, I hope everything is ok with these members. You are correct, sometimes we forget what we have in our tanks can kill us. Lets keep new and old reefers alike aware of the possible dangers when protection is not used. lets remember those gloves, facemasks and goggles people.

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
yes, there will be an article detailing exactly what happened and simple steps to avoid it in the next issue of reefs magazine.

as for the main party involved, he is fine. was released from the hospital the next day and felt 100%. the other 2 people (1 of which was me.. DOH) who were affected had lingering chest cold like symptoms for a couple of days but were in much better shape throughout the ordeal. It was insanely scary though while it was happening and he was sitting with the IV in and a 104 fever and no "cure."

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
hey james,
glad to hear you're ok and everything worked out for the others as well.
lesson learned from a friend fragging zoa's with a cut on his hand. half an hour later his hand was swollen like a baseball mit. the er doctor had no idea what to do....just gave him antihistamine iv and prescribed an epi pen just in case. luckily it resolved itself in a few days. now i wear gloves, goggle, and mask whenever i frag zoa's/paly's.

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
hey james,
glad to hear you're ok and everything worked out for the others as well.
lesson learned from a friend fragging zoa's with a cut on his hand. half an hour later his hand was swollen like a baseball mit. the er doctor had no idea what to do....just gave him antihistamine iv and prescribed an epi pen just in case. luckily it resolved itself in a few days. now i wear gloves, goggle, and mask whenever i frag zoa's/paly's.

+1 on this. ER with 104 is not fun. I have gloves and a full surgical mask as well now. Nothing to joke about. It is easy to slack off but you get a squirt of palytoxin it can kill you and there is not much you can do after the fact.

J

jessicasy

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
thanks for the information...it is well explained and educative,many will learn about these things.!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: