Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I need advise on plumbing a chiller into my new setup:
65G tall
custom sump
I want my return pump to feed 2X reactors, UV, and a Current 1/10 chiller.
The main return will be branched individually to the reactors and UV, then dumped back into the sump.
Should I put the chiller on it's own branch (and dump into the sump) or inline with the return line to the tank?
If I put it inline, I can stick with a mag 7 (that I already own). If I want to add another branch, I will need a larger pump like a mag 9.5.

The Chiller requires 300-600 gph (which blows my mind).

I may be under estimated these accessories' needs. How much GPH does a phosban and carbon reactor need (both made by next reef)? The UV needs about 100 GPH. Maybe I can put the UV inline with one of the reactors?

18oreefer

+270
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
UV with the reactors will work but you most likey wont have enough flow for the chiller. I dont know what kind of control system you have on your chiller. My chiller is turned on and off by a ranco controler of which i have a small seperate pump that only comes on with the chiller. That might be something to think about because you dont need the flow threw it when its not chilling. But definatly have it seperate from your reactors and uv.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
keith i have the same chiller, i have a 700 gph pump that goes up to a T one end feeds the chiller, the other side feeds my reactor, sure if you got a mag 12 you could feed all of it, the uv needs a decent flow also to do it's job, diff flow through a uv does different thing's, your chiller has a plug in for a heater also doesnt it ? and 18o different chiller's operate differently the current has a built in temp sensor that turns the chiller on and off by the water temp flowing through it

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I would put the chiller inline with the return flowing back into the tank,

the UV and reactors can be fed via a manifold. they each need a specific amount flowing through them so I would not try to combine them at all.

some cool manifolds at this site,

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
The plan is to put it inline then. I already made a little manifold

IMG_0146.jpg

How do I calc how big of a pump I will need? I can't use the old reef-central calc, as there are too many variables. I believe the chiller adds 6' of head!
I have a mag 7. I was thinking mag 9. Now I'm thinking I may need a mag 12! This is critical as I have Custom King making me a sump, and we only planned to have room for a mag 9. HELP! :)

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: