Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
In the past few months I've bought corals from LFS and tested the salinity before acclimating my corals. From what I've seen, it seems that most stores keep their salinity around 1.020 - 1.022.

What's the verdict out there? Is keeping the salinity lower because it saves on the cost of salt AND because it helps to keep disease pathogens at bay? Or do we find that it improves the color on some of the exotic corals that we purchase?

Just want to get a general consensus of where we are. I've always kept it around 1.023 - 1.025, but use up more salt in doing so.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Its probably when they sell corals, they remove saltwater and then top off at the end of the day for evaporation therefore lowering salinity. Most places won't check salinity until the end of the week and readjust from what I have seen.
I keep mine at 1.025-1.027

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Natural Seawater (NSW) is approx. 1.0265.
I keep my home system at 1.0265

IMO most LFS's only keep the salinity at lower levels comparable to those you've mentioned to lessen the expense. It is cheaper that way.

In order to reduce the occurance of pathogens, the salinity would need to be lowered to approx. 1.009

swimmer

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
lower salt does not mean better colors :smash:

There's a thread or 4 with nice polls giving approx numbers at what everyone keeps their salt at. And people were nice enough to explain a little why in the replies.

I try to keep mine around 1.025-1.026.

Last edited:

Marteen

Meow?
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
LFS' maintain low salinity for a number of reasons, remember they are maintaining fish in those tanks as well and lower salinity tends to prevent the spread of pathogens across systems. I keep mine at 1.025

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
It's more important to maintain a stable SG/Salinity ( yes they are not exactly the same thing but for our purposes it doesn't matter but for those who care - specific gravity is the density of your liquid divided by the density of pure water, which is 1.000 at room temperature. Since density is temperature dependent, so is SG ) than a particular SG as long as you within an acceptable range. Constant changes will stress the creatures out but if its 1.024 or 1.027 wont make that much a of a difference as animals and plants are surprisingly adaptable.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: