Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
not so cute anymore...

came home today to little to no water flowing back into my tank from my return pump. Took it off and apart to find...

DSCF0040.jpg

Cost the lil' bugger his life and me $50 in replacement parts for my pump, a nervous breakdown of sorts, and a few hours time (that I really didn't have to spare today).

All is well again in the glass box in the wall thankfully. Baby snails are so mischievous. :irked::lol:

Pinkheine

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
just wanted to make sure they were red banded trochus - they can sometimes be confused with the color variant that eats zoos.

Good luck with them

House

:) I figured. Should've put the profile from the start.. I contemplated that when I clicked submit, but left it. They multiply like :bunnies:.. I have given so many away I've lost count at this point. There is a new batch in the fuge now, they are tiny.. though grow quickly.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Sorry to read Syb! Had a similar experience with my Iwaki return pump, but in my case it was a sandsifting star fish that became sushi.;( The corals never looked better though...

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
MY friend had the same problem this week. My theory is that when he shut down his return pump (for feeding), the baby snail was sucked in through the exit of the return as the water siphons down to the sump. His Mag 5 had a foam filter on it...

Pinkheine

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Again my fondness for these lil' buggers diminishes. One side of return flowing freely, the other a trickle... in the Tee... another snail. :irked:

Also for the first time I noticed snail eggs on the glass, at least I think that is the type of eggs they are. Nearly smushed them with the magnet. Though they are a-okay. Possibly some more trochus? idk. Ideas? I can't get a pic, sorry. They are small and white. lol.

yiliyang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I wish I had your problem with those snails. They cost $2.99 at the LFS, I only wish I can have my own breeding colony.

I am surprised that your snails damaged your pump, I thought if you remove the blockage the pump would go back to work.

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I wish I had your problem with those snails. They cost $2.99 at the LFS, I only wish I can have my own breeding colony.

I am surprised that your snails damaged your pump, I thought if you remove the blockage the pump would go back to work.

THey slowly crawl towards the propeler breaking the fins off as they come in contact, chances are when you remove the blockage the impiller might be missing some fins. Some impellers are more prone to this than others simply the their design..

Pinkheine

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
THey slowly crawl towards the propeler breaking the fins off as they come in contact, chances are when you remove the blockage the impiller might be missing some fins. Some impellers are more prone to this than others simply the their design..

That is exactly what happened, he broke off two of the propellors. Bugger. The other snail just happened to be wedged in the Tee.. after we fixed the pump issues from my first post. Thing still just didn't seem right and we were in the market for a new pump. Though we figured we'd check out all the connections first to make sure they weren't clogged with who knows what. Turns out the who knows what was the snail.

All is well now thankfully. As for them breeding, it doesn't bother me, I'm happy they are because it must mean something is right in the tank. I don't question it. Though I'd much prefer them to STAY IN THE TANK and away from my pumps.. lol Nearly daily I have to pull one out of the wet end of the Vortech.

I think we may have to thin the herd soon and give some away. It's getting to be a daily occurance with the Vortech. Stopping the wet end dead and making a horrific squeal. lol

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: