NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
when I originally set my 180 up I added 2 MH lamps. took one off my 65 I upgraded from 175 to 250. I used 2- 15K XM bulbs and one 10K XM bulb the 10K being in the center. I loved the look of the tank corals seemed to be doing fine and growing. I also read on RC that par was much lower on the 15K than the 10K.

I've been dosing with B-Ionic for as long as I can remeber in the 65 gal reef it wasnt a money issue in the 180 it goes fast. I was able to keep calcium levels at 400 PPM and alk between 8-10DKH

about 2 weeks ago I decided to switch the 15K bulbs for the 10K bulbs
continued to does B-Ionic as always (PS an Calcium reactor is on order from tony at reef exotics)

last week I did some water tests and found calcium below 300 and started to double my B-Ionic dose I re checked the water last nite and my calcium levels are at 380 and 9DKH

my SPS are showing significat signs of growth , my next project is to install the VHO actinics I got from Tony.

although I liked the color of the XM 15K bulb my SPS are doing much better under the XM 10 K

looks like the 2 -15K XM 250W bulbs will be on ebay this weekend

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Did you try the coralvue reeflux 10k? I heard it pretty good in par and color. When used on electronic ballast there is a slight blue tint, I heard. I am going to try these bulb out when time to switch is up.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
How long has the 180 been up and running? Maybe you are in the "zone" for SPS growth, i.e. tank maturity, hence your Ca requirements are going up due to SPS growth and coraline algae growth. Granted, 10K bulbs are more stimulating to growth/photosynthesis in hard corals than 15K's.

It's good that you have the Ca reactor coming, B-ioninc is just going to be too hard to maintain in a 180, this is due to the greater surface area involved for corals to attach and grow on leading to greater Ca requirement overall.

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
180 has been up since may 2005, most of the livestock Rock and corals came from my 65 which was packed! I was just checking the tank and I noticed the growth on a purple millapora I had as a frag it's been growing steadily in size but I noticed a big difference in polyp detail I'll see if I can get some before and after pictures and post them tomorrow.
I agree BIonic is definitly not the way to go in a large tank!

I hope to have my 450 built before the spring maybe sooner if I can finish the little stuff around the house

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Based on the time frame then, your tank is definately starting to get into the SPS groove. Your tank's Ca requirements are going to just get more demanding over time.

nyfireman3097

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Frank I missed you ysterday I never got to call you listen the 15k I know a ton of people using them and they HATE them after a month the 10k i had and LOVED them Im using the 10K reeflux now and they look aamzoing listen u gonna be around tomorrow if so im gonna call you LMK
Nick

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hey- quick question about the 2 part system (B-ionic or others). if you Ca is low, can you just dose part A until it reaches your desired level? And vice versa? Then once the parameters are ideal dose with both parts as directed? Thanks!

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Reefer420 said:
Hey- quick question about the 2 part system (B-ionic or others). if you Ca is low, can you just dose part A until it reaches your desired level? And vice versa? Then once the parameters are ideal dose with both parts as directed? Thanks!

Yes :)

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Reefer420 said:

Like Dean said "yes" but if your levels are way under and your tank is large you may want to use Turbo Cal or Marine Builder to bring the levels up as they'll do it faster and they're alot cheapier to use then B-ionic.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thanks!!! You have no idea how long I've been trying to figure this out- each time I've asked about dosing I get a ton of varied responses- maybe i just wasn't asking the right question! My tank isn't large so I don't know if I'll need individual supplements (though i think I will get those once I need to place a new order for dry goods online so I lump shipping all at once). :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: