Border09

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Okay guys, I don't know what's up with my tank. The fish are all okay, but my corals = not so good. I just removed the GSP I lost. It looked like something was eating it (it hasn't come out for about 1.5 weeks). The Pulsing Xenia I had bought last week died within 2 days.
I have button polyps which are thriving, but the rest sucked.

I have a lot of algae growth (on the sand and tank sides) as well which is annoying. It seems to be clearing a bit though- thankfully.

I just removed the GSPs tonight. Could those asterina star fish have been eating it?

I had regular sand in the tank, but thought maybe getting more live sand would help with the algae issue so I put 10lbs in it last week.

Just did the tests tonight and am not entirely happy with the results:
Phosphate - 0.5
Nitrate - between 0 and 5.0 (couldn't tell the difference on the chart)
Nitrite - 0
pH -8.2/8.3
Ammonia - .25

Have to test the alkalinity and the calcium still.
Recently put it on an 8 hour light schedule from about 10/day (which is bad!)

What else could I get to help the Ammonia, Nitrate, and Phosphate go down?

It's a 34 gallon Solana - running since mid December

I put carbon in the back chamber.:irked::irked::irked::irked::irked:

Thanks for the input in advance.

:iamwithst:iamwithst:iamwithst:iamwithst:iamwithst<--- I am stupid.:shhh:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Your test results are not bad, except for the ammonia. The presence of ammonia indicates some cycling. Adding the 10# of LS last weekend could have kicked off a mini cycle.

You will NEVER have zero nitrates and phosphates. As long as you keep the amounts low (which they are) you'll be fine. To keep those readings in check, you can set up a refugium (if you don't have one yet). Keep cheato (macro algae), DSB and LR rubble in it.

Asterina stars don't 'eat' the coral you mentioned. They will eat stressed coral. Clearly the presence of ammonia in your tank stressed some of the inhabitants, if not all of them. So the Asterina's eating them is no surprise to me.

Get your ammonia under control and things should shape up nicely.

Russ

Border09

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks guys. Guess I did more hurt than good by adding the live sand, huh? Ah well, gotta roll with the punches. I don't have a refugium yet. I'm gonna google how to make one now. What size do you think would be okay for a 34 gallon tank?

Thanks!

Tom

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: