BHDMC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Looking to replace my old ETSS 700 Downdraft skimmer. My downdraft skimmer beomes very sensitive when I change the filter sock, change the GFO, carbon, use additive like Super Buffer, etc. It erupts like a volcano, so I need to open up the gate valve to stop the overflow. It does not clam down until some time later. I was wondering if the other type of skimmers, like needle wheel, pin wheel, beckett, etc will be different or are they the same animal?

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
sort of, some skimmers react more than others. carb, gfo, buffer, ect all add small particles to the tank which gather on the bubbles produced creating foam alot quicker than its used to. Its just your skimmer working really well to remove those particles after you set it to remove less on a normal basis. As far as the filter sock, some dried trapped stuff you idn;t wash out can come out of the sock when you place it back in, or there is leftover residue from any soaps or cleaners your using on it.

Carb and gfo also mess with the water tension making the bubbles less prone to popping for the first few hours. Dunno how or why an i could be wrong.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: