alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
My cleaner shrimp are always laying eggs, but i never expect anything of it. This morning i noticed in my sump, yup you guessed it, a baby cleaner shrimp (about an inch big). I have no idea how long he's been in there or how old he is. after a lot of chasing and rock moving (its filled with rock rubble) i finally caught him and introduced him to his mansion (the main tank) i hope he likes it better than the sump, and i hope he survives. if he made it this far, wont he likely survive? anyone have experience with this before?

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
CONGRATULATIONS on your new addition.

Goodjob!! setting up conditions to create marine animal reproduction is the apex of reefkeeping.

I personally would have left it in the sump for a little more time, because there are probably less creatures that can eat it in there.

The biggest problem with all marine "babies" is that they usually require food that is different than what they eat as adults. Plus, they have to avoid being food themselves. Your sump must have been providing that food in greater quantities than the main tank for it to have grown to 1-inch. But at 1-inch it should be able to fend for itself now.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
nothing in my tank would eat him (tangs and the like).
sump is 40" long - probably about 30 gal and full of rock. just about a month and a half old.
this is so exciting. it is solid proof that i must be doing something right.
perhaps he just ate whatever left over food settled in my sump/refugium and the critters in there too. i do also feed DT's Live Phytoplankton, Marine Snow, Golden Pearls, ESV Frezze Dried Phyto, and of course Sweetwater Zooplankton (which i also have available for sale). While the other stuff are probably only good for corals, the zooplankton is my guess on what he could eat.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Originally posted by alrha:
the rock in my sump all started as dead dry man-made rock. , so i dont see how he would have been able to hitchhike on that.
I guess you got a point!

If you happen to find any more little guys down the road, I'll buy one or two from you! I'd rather give you my cash than pay $20 each at a petstore!

BC

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
he he, thanks. but i would want to keep them (unless it really starts getting out of hand, which i doubt). This seems to be a very rare occurance.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: